About This Chapter
ASSET Elementary Algebra: Integers - Chapter Summary
If you want to pass the ASSET Elementary Algebra test, enhance your chances by exploring these text and video lessons on integers and their purpose. You could learn about the definitions, formulas and rules that are associated with different kinds of integers, study the meanings of key terms such as multiplicative identity and column multiplication, and discover how to use the number line when working with absolute values. Learn from the many included examples, and take opportunities to practice what you're studying. Utilize this chapter so that you can:
- Define integers and distinguish between positive and negative integers
- Give examples of consecutive integers
- Understand the rules for adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing integers
- Simplify integer expressions
Watch and review these text and animated video lessons on integers, and complete them as well as your school assignments while you're preparing for the ASSET Elementary Algebra test. Ten minutes or less in length, the videos can easily be navigated by clicking to pause and start them. Video tags under the timeline link will reveal and provide immediate access to the lessons' major areas of emphasis. The text lessons feature transcripts, and they have quizzes and links to relevant content just as the video lessons do.
1. What are Integers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about integers - what they are and what distinguishes them from other types of numbers. We'll also take a look at a few examples of things that can or cannot be measured with integers.
2. What is a Positive Integer? - Definition & Examples
We use positive integers in our everyday lives. We see them everywhere in the world around us. Learn what positive integers are and what you can do with them.
3. Negative Integers: Definition, Rules & Examples
This lesson will be covering the world of negative integers. What is a negative integer? How do they work? Also, we will be looking at real world examples.
4. Consecutive Integers: Definition & Formula
This lesson defines consecutive integers and gives fun examples of consecutive numbers in use. You will also learn the formulas used to compute consecutive integers.
5. Adding Integers: Rules & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about adding integers or signed numbers. Using the number line and idea of absolute value, we will see that the rules used to add them are simply an extension of the rules of basic arithmetic.
6. Subtracting Integers: Rules & Examples
In this lesson, we will cover definitions, rules, and examples for subtracting integers. We'll also provide some helpful tips for dealing with tricky math problems.
7. Multiplying Integers: Rules & Examples
In this lesson, we will discuss what numbers are included in the integers and how to multiply them. We will deal with 1-, 2-, and 3-digit numbers as well as negatives and positives. There are some definitions included as well as a quiz at the end.
8. Dividing Integers: Rules & Terminology
In this lesson, we will learn how to divide integers or signed numbers. Determining the correct sign of the answer is a very simple but important step in these calculations. We will also learn the role of zero in division of integers.
9. How to Simplify Expressions with Integers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify any integer expression by following the order of operations. Learn what to watch for and in what order to do your operations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET Elementary Algebra Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Algebraic Expressions
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Solving Quadratic Equations
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Polynomial Operations
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Factoring Polynomials
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Integer Exponents
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Rational Expressions
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Linear Equations
- ASSET Elementary Algebra Test Flashcards