About This Chapter
ASSET Elementary Algebra: Rational Expressions - Chapter Summary
Rational expressions actually often look far more complicated than they are. These lessons make them easy and comprehensible, and will assist you with understanding the following before taking the ASSET exam:
- Performing operations with rational expressions
- Solving rational equations and practice problems
- Understanding reciprocals and division of rational expressions
- Learning how to simplify complex rational expressions
- Finding solutions to direct and inverse variation equations
Each of our video lessons is accompanied by a fully transcribed written version with key terms and vocabulary in highlighted form. This makes identification and reference fast and easy. You can move rapidly back and forth between different segments of the program by clicking on the links in the quizzes that bring you back to that point in the lesson. This enables you to make the very most of your study session without unwanted repetition or wasted time.
ASSET Elementary Algebra: Rational Expressions Objectives
The ASSET exam is an assessment examination that is required by many community and technical colleges, and is given either before or immediately upon enrollment. The objective is to assist students in coursework selection by identifying the students' strongest and weakest areas of study. The test consists of two sections: Basic Skills and Advanced Mathematics. The lessons in this chapter address the Advanced Mathematics section, in which you will find 25 multiple-choice questions.
You can neither pass nor fail this exam. When you take the ASSET test, you will take it using pencil and paper. All of 192 questions on the exam are multiple choice, which will require you to read through each item carefully and choose the correct response from the list provided.
1. How to Add and Subtract Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions brings everything you learned about fractions into the world of algebra. We will mix common denominators with factoring and FOILing.
2. Practice Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions can feel daunting, especially when trying to find a common denominator. Let me show you the process I like to use. I think it will make adding and subtracting rational expressions more enjoyable!
3. How to Multiply and Divide Rational Expressions
Multiplying and dividing rational polynomial expressions is exactly like multiplying and dividing fractions. Like fractions, we will reduce. With polynomial expressions we use factoring and canceling. I also give you a little mnemonic to help you remember when you need a common denominator and when you don't.
4. Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions: Practice Problems
Let's continue looking at multiplying and dividing rational polynomials. In this lesson, we will look at a couple longer problems, while giving you some practice multiplying and dividing.
5. How to Solve a Rational Equation
A rational equation is one that contains fractions. Yes, we will be finding a common denominator that has 'x's. But no worries! Together we will use a process that will help us solve rational equations every time!
6. Rational Equations: Practice Problems
Mario and Bill own a local carwash and have several complex tasks that they must use rational equations to solve for an answer. Enjoy learning how they solve these equations to help them with some of their day-to-day tasks.
7. Division and Reciprocals of Rational Expressions
In this video lesson, you will learn how to divide and take the reciprocal of any rational expression. Learn the one easy step you take to be able to find your answer quickly and easily.
8. Simplifying Complex Rational Expressions
When it comes to fractions, things may seem to get really complicated and scary when you have a fraction on top of a fraction. But never fear, after watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify these expressions like a pro.
9. Solving Equations of Direct Variation
In the real world, we come across a lot of problems that vary directly with each other. You will learn how to solve these types of direct variation problems in this video lesson.
10. Solving Equations of Inverse Variation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to identify problems where you can use the formula for inverse variation to solve them. Learn what is involved and how easy they are to solve.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET Elementary Algebra Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Algebraic Expressions
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Solving Quadratic Equations
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Polynomial Operations
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Factoring Polynomials
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Integers
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Integer Exponents
- ASSET Elementary Algebra: Linear Equations
- ASSET Elementary Algebra Test Flashcards