About This Chapter
ASSET Intermediate Algebra: Graphing Basics - Chapter Summary
Develop your knowledge of mathematics concepts so that you'll be ready when you take the ASSET Intermediate Algebra Test. This chapter on graphing basics includes video lessons on grids, coordinate pairs, Descartes coordinates and parabolas. You can watch the videos online. They'll review writing ordered pairs as well as outline three major parabola forms. Study this chapter if you'd like to be able to:
- Identify the points on the coordinate plane
- Recognize the components of a graph
- Understand the concept of the Cartesian coordinate plane
- Graph horizontal and vertical parabolas
- Describe different kinds of parabolas
Even if you prefer to learn by reading, the video lessons are fun to watch. You can also listen to the instructors' narration as you follow along with the reflective written transcripts. Study in your spare time with the help of your mobile or desktop technology. One click stops or starts the online lessons instantly. There are also video tags that direct you to the lessons' main points. Access them by clicking the timeline feature and selecting your chosen topic. Short quizzes will test your knowledge.
1. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
2. Plotting Points on the Coordinate Plane
If you'll be working with a graph, otherwise known as the coordinate plane, it's essential to understand how it works. This includes learning the parts of a graph, identifying points and plotting points.
3. The Parabola: Definition & Graphing
Watch this video lesson to learn what a parabola is and how you can graph it. Find out how to extract useful information from the standard form equation of a parabola to help you graph it.
4. Parabolas in Standard, Intercept, and Vertex Form
By rearranging a quadratic equation, you can end up with an infinite number of ways to express the same thing. Learn about the three main forms of a quadratic and the pros and cons of each.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET Intermediate Algebra Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET Intermediate Algebra: Factoring Polynomials
- ASSET Intermediate Algebra: Linear Equations
- ASSET Intermediate Algebra: Simplifying Radical Expressions
- ASSET Intermediate Algebra: Simplifying Rational Expressions
- ASSET Intermediate Algebra: Slope & Distance Formulas
- ASSET Intermediate Algebra: Linear Inequalities
- ASSET Intermediate Algebra Test Flashcards