About This Chapter
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Absolute Value - Chapter Summary
These lessons have been put together to help you improve your ability to work on math problems with absolute values in them. In these lessons, our professional instructors will show you how to graph and solve absolute value equations so that, prior to taking the test, you'll have a better understanding of:
- The definition of an absolute value
- Solving absolute value equations
- Graphing and completing graph transformations of absolute value
These lessons are mobile-device compatible, so if you need to you can watch them via any Internet-ready technology. Quizzes are included that can help you determine how much you remember about absolute values. If you need assistance with any of the concepts in this chapter, consult our experts by using the appropriate feature on the dashboard.
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Absolute Value Objectives
The ASSET Numerical Skills test is one of the assessments of the ASSET Student Success System used by many community and technical colleges when making decisions regarding incoming students. When preparing for this test, keep in mind that is it is composed of 32 questions used to assess your arithmetic and pre-algebraic skills. Before you take this test, complete this chapter to prepare for questions on it regarding absolute value.
1. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
2. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
3. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
4. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
5. Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections
Although a basic absolute value graph isn't complicated, transformations can make them sufficiently confusing! In this lesson, you'll practice different transformations of absolute value graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Solving Word Problems in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Basic Math Operations
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Decimals
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Operations with Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Percents
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Calculating Taxes, Discounts & Interest
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Ratios & Proportions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Math Formulas
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Factoring Prime & Composite Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Positive & Negative Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Inequalities in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Scientific Notation
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Square Roots
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test Flashcards