About This Chapter
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Basic Math Operations - Chapter Summary
This chapter is comprised of short video lessons that are designed to help you build the math proficiency that allows you to solve basic math problems. The chapter highlights the four fundamental math operations, and it reviews terms such as divisor, dividend, integers and signed numbers. While you work through the chapter, you'll be shown how to make a simple chart that assists you in memorizing multiplication numbers. Through several step-by-step examples, you could learn the procedures necessary to:
- Identify and perform functions with whole numbers
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers
- Solve long division and multiplication problems
- Perform operations with signed numbers
- Apply the commutative and associative properties as well as the multiplication property of zero
- Find the greatest common factor and the least common multiple
Watch several short, animated videos that explain the above topics in depth, then apply your knowledge when taking the ASSET Numerical Skills Test. Actual teachers instruct you and experts answer your submitted questions about basic math. A mobile device and a Web connection is all you'll need to access the lessons, which include transcripts and quizzes. Scan the lessons with the handy video tags, and take advantage of the opportunity to pause and restart the videos often as you learn.
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Basic Math Operations Chapter Objectives
The Numerical Skills Test is one of three basic skills assessments in the ASSET Test family. The written examination consists of 32 questions, and it has a 25-minute time limit. Its main classification areas are Arithmetic, which features 25 questions, and Pre-Algebra, which has seven questions. In the interest of testing your knowledge of basic math, the Arithmetic category includes questions on common factors and multiples, operations with whole numbers and the order of operations.
1. What are Whole Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about whole numbers , including what they are and what distinguishes them from other types of numbers. We'll also take a look at a few things about whole numbers that sometimes trip students up.
2. Arithmetic with Whole Numbers
There are four basic mathematical operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These four operations are used in a wide range of everyday skills and are the fundamental blocks of arithmetic.
3. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
4. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
5. How to Perform Multiplication: Steps & Examples
Multiplication, one of the basic operations of math, is important not just in elementary math but also in higher math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can multiply with ease.
6. How to Multiply Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson you will be able to multiply any two numbers together. You will learn how to use your knowledge of multiplying smaller numbers together to multiply larger numbers with ease.
7. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
8. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
9. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
10. The Commutative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three major properties that deal with the addition and multiplication of numbers. One of those properties is the commutative property. This lesson will define and give examples of the commutative property and how it works.
11. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
12. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
13. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
14. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Solving Word Problems in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Decimals
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Operations with Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Percents
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Calculating Taxes, Discounts & Interest
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Ratios & Proportions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Math Formulas
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Factoring Prime & Composite Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Positive & Negative Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Absolute Value
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Inequalities in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Scientific Notation
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Square Roots
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test Flashcards