About This Chapter
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Ratios & Proportions - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will learn how to use ratios and proportions in ways that you may be tested on during the ASSET Numerical Skills Test. In addition to highlighting examples of ratios and rates, these lessons will address the following:
- Unit rate
- One-step problems involving rates or ratios
- Ratio and proportion calculations
- Finding unknowns in proportions
- Equations that represent proportional relationships
- How to graph proportional relationships
- Multistep ratio and percent problems
- Solving real-world problems with proportions
You will be guided through this chapter by an expert instructor who seeks to present the information as clearly as possible. If you do have a question, though, you may send it in to our experts, who will provide assistance. Each brief video lesson is accompanied by a short multiple-choice quiz that will give you a chance to practice using the knowledge you've gained.
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Ratios & Proportions Objectives
One of the ASSET Basic Skills exams, the ASSET Numerical Skills Test is meant to help place you in the correct postsecondary programs. This test covers several different subjects, with 25 of the 32 questions focused on arithmetic problems. Knowledge of ratios and proportions will be valuable as you prepare for these questions on the exam. By studying the content of these lessons, you will refresh the skills you need to solve any ratio and proportions problems the exam may pose. In addition, taking the multiple-choice quizzes will give you valuable practice answering questions in the same format as you'll find on the ASSET Numerical Skills Test.
1. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
2. How to Find the Unit Rate
If we are going to use math to predict outcomes, one of the most useful measures we can establish is the unit rate of change. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the rate of change and apply the formula to real-life examples.
3. How to Solve a One-Step Problem Involving Ratios
Ratios show the relationship between different things. They can be very useful in math and everyday life. Learn how you can quickly and easily solve one-step ratio problems.
4. How to Solve a One-Step Problem Involving Rates
One of the most useful aspects of math is the ability to take a rate and use it to solve questions of time or quantity. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use rates, time, and quantity to solve for each other.
5. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
6. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
7. How to Find an Unknown in a Proportion
Artists, engineers, athletes, and accountants all use proportions in their daily lives, and setting them up is really quite easy, once you know the rules. In this lesson, you'll learn how to solve proportions when there is an unknown value and work on some practice problems.
8. Representing Proportional Relationships by Equations
After you read this lesson, you'll see just how easy it is to find an equation that represents your proportional relationship. You'll learn the formula you can use to find your equation for any proportion you have.
9. Graphing Proportional Relationships
Two values are proportional if they maintain the same ratio and their graph will always be a straight line that goes through the origin (0,0). In this lesson we'll explore how to draw proportional graphs and use them to solve desperate situations!
10. Proportional Relationships in Multistep Ratio & Percent Problems
This lesson introduces the concepts of ratios, rates, and proportions. It will show you how to use rates and ratios to develop proportional relationships. Using proportions to solve problems is very common in mathematics, because oftentimes many rates and ratios are constant.
11. Constructing Proportions to Solve Real World Problems
In this lesson, we will concentrate on proportions. Through definition and example, we will learn how to construct proportions and how to use proportions to solve real world problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Solving Word Problems in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Basic Math Operations
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Decimals
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Operations with Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Percents
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Calculating Taxes, Discounts & Interest
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Math Formulas
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Factoring Prime & Composite Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Positive & Negative Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Absolute Value
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Inequalities in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Scientific Notation
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Square Roots
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test Flashcards