About This Chapter
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Scientific Notation - Chapter Summary
Advance your understanding of scientific notation and increase the likelihood that you'll correctly answer corresponding questions on the ASSET Numerical Skills Test. The chapter provides a step-by-step explanation of how scientific notation works. As a result, you could understand more about the process of solving problems that involve numbers that are extremely big or small. The chapter reviews how to put numbers in order and make certain that the powers are identical. Look at this chapter's videos for help with:
- Writing numbers in scientific notation
- Switching numbers from standard to scientific notation
- Determining the larger or smaller of numbers in scientific notation
- Completing practice problems
Accessed online with your tablet or other mobile device, each of these animated lessons offers in-depth information about the fundamentals of scientific notation. Your instructors are real-life education professionals. They not only narrate the video lessons, but can answer the questions on scientific notation that you submit. The fun lessons are short and can be studied alongside your regular school assignments. They include five-question quizzes and a practice examination that will evaluate your progress.
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Scientific Notation Chapter Objectives
ACT, Inc, developed several basic skills tests in order to determine students' level of achievement in major academic content areas. This includes the ASSET Numerical Skills Test as well as reading and writing assessments. The written ASSET Numerical Skills Test has 32 multiple-choice questions, and administrators impose a 25-minute time limit on the assessment. Display your understanding of scientific notation, prime numbers, square roots and other topics when completing the Numerical Skills Test.
1. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
2. Converting Numbers to Scientific Notation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert any number you come across into scientific notation. You will also learn why scientific notation is used and where you are most likely to see it.
3. Comparing Numbers Written in Scientific Notation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to compare numbers written in scientific notation with each other. You will learn how to tell which is larger and which is smaller.
4. Scientific Notation: Practice Problems
Scientific notation has a lot of exponents, but it's really not that bad - and it's really convenient for working with awkwardly big or small numbers! Get some practice here.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Solving Word Problems in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Basic Math Operations
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Decimals
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Operations with Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Percents
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Calculating Taxes, Discounts & Interest
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Ratios & Proportions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Math Formulas
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Factoring Prime & Composite Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Positive & Negative Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Absolute Value
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Inequalities in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Square Roots
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test Flashcards