About This Chapter
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Solving Word Problems in Math - Chapter Summary
As part of a study guide course for the ASSET Numerical Skills test, this chapter will prepare you for questions on mathematical word problems. In this series of short, engaging and mobile-device-compatible lesson videos, our professional instructors will explain the steps you can use to work through word problems. They are also able to answer any questions you may have, so that you can effectively improve your understanding of how to:
- Correctly setup and solve math word problems
- Solve word problems with multiple steps
- Use words or images to restate word problems
- Personalize word problems to increase your understanding of them
- Simplify word problems with fractions
In addition to watching these lesson videos, you can also improve your retention of the information presented in them by reading the text transcripts. Seasoned instructors narrate the videos, and sharp graphics are utilized to demonstrate various mathematical concepts.
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Solving Word Problems in Math Objectives
The ASSET Student Success System is a series of assessments used by many community and technical colleges to aid them when they are making admission and curriculum placement decisions. The ASSET Numerical Skills Test is one of the assessments that will measure your arithmetic and pre-algebra skills. It is composed of 32 questions and is administered in 25-minute section. With this chapter, prepare for word problems on this test.
1. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
2. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
3. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
4. Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use sketches and notes to help you visualize a problem. Watch how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have visualized it.
5. Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding
When it comes to word problems, being able to personalize a word problem with more familiar situations will help you a lot in your problem solving. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can restate the word problem in terms you understand.
6. How to Simplify Word Problems with Fractions Using Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve word problems with fractions in them easily by turning your fractions into whole numbers. Learn what you need to do to get rid of your fractions so you can easily solve your problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Basic Math Operations
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Decimals
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Operations with Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Percents
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Calculating Taxes, Discounts & Interest
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Ratios & Proportions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Math Formulas
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Factoring Prime & Composite Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Positive & Negative Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Absolute Value
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Inequalities in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Scientific Notation
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Square Roots
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test Flashcards