About This Chapter
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Fractions - Chapter Summary
This chapter seeks to aid you in your studies for the ASSET Numerical Skills test by teaching you about fractions and how they relate to other types of numbers. These lessons will allow you to review the following:
- Types of fractions
- Raising, reducing, ordering, and comparing fractions
- Relating fractions to decimals
- Least common denominators
- Number lines and how to use them
- Improper fractions into mixed numbers
- Mixed numbers into improper fractions
These lessons were developed by expert mathematicians with the purpose of presenting the basics of fractions in a clear and concise manner. Each lesson is presented in the format of a brief video and is accompanied by a full transcript, enabling you to review the covered information in two formats and at your own pace.
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Fractions Chapter Objectives
The ASSET Numerical Skills test is one of the ASSET Basic Skills tests. Composed of 32 multiple-choice questions, the Numerical Skills exam has 25 arithmetic questions and seven pre-algebra questions. A general knowledge of fractions will prove beneficial throughout the entirety of the Numerical Skills exam, making the content of this chapter worth studying.
Not only will these lessons provide you with the opportunity to review many aspects of fractions, they will also allow you to practice using your knowledge in the brief lesson quizzes. These lesson quizzes are in the same multiple-choice format as the exam and, therefore, provide an additional benefit for you.
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. How to Raise and Reduce Fractions
When working with fractions, you sometimes need to change your fraction to make it easier to work with. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can raise and reduce fractions to make your problem solving easier.
3. Relating Fractions and Decimals
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use both fractions and decimals to help you solve problems. Learn how to change between the two to use the best one for your problem.
4. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
5. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
6. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
7. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
8. How to Change Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions
When it comes to fractions in algebra, we hardly ever use mixed numbers. Instead, we opt for the ease of use of improper fractions. Watch this video lesson to learn how to change your mixed numbers to improper fractions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Solving Word Problems in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Basic Math Operations
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Decimals
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Operations with Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Percents
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Calculating Taxes, Discounts & Interest
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Ratios & Proportions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Math Formulas
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Factoring Prime & Composite Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Positive & Negative Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Absolute Value
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Inequalities in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Scientific Notation
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Square Roots
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test Flashcards