About This Chapter
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Math Formulas - Chapter Summary
Using the lessons in this chapter, you can review and go deeper into math-related concepts. By completing this chapter, you will have a greater understanding of the following topics:
- Properties of real numbers
- The order of operations
- Different types of math formulas
- Using parentheses in math
Video lessons within this chapter make learning about math concepts fun, and help you more thoroughly retain the information. You also can take quizzes at the end of each lesson to gauge your understanding of lesson topics.
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Math Formulas Chapter Objectives
The goal of this ASSET Numerical Skills test is to help prospective colleges assess your knowledge of different math-related topics. This chapter contains topics that are part of the arithmetic portion of the test, which makes up 78% of the entire exam. This portion of this exam consists of 25 multiple-choice questions. By going through each lesson, you will be prepared to answer questions about math formulas on this exam.
1. What are Real Numbers? - Definition & Properties
There are many definitions of real numbers, but they all lead to the same conclusion. Real numbers are numbers that have a measurable value. Learn more about real numbers with some examples and a quiz to test your knowledge.
2. Parentheses in Math: Rules & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how parentheses are used in math. Learn how to read them as multiplication and how they let you know which numbers to work with first.
3. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
4. Understanding and Evaluating Math Formulas
With all the formulas out there, how do you know which one to pick? And how do you read formulas anyways? Watch this video lesson and you will find the answers to these questions.
5. Calculating Average Speed: Formula & Practice Problems
In this lesson, you will learn how to calculate the average speed of an object. Diagrams, graphs, and examples will help you understand this concept and its method of calculation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Solving Word Problems in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Basic Math Operations
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Decimals
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Operations with Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Percents
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Calculating Taxes, Discounts & Interest
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Ratios & Proportions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Factoring Prime & Composite Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Positive & Negative Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Absolute Value
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Inequalities in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Scientific Notation
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Square Roots
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test Flashcards