About This Chapter
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Decimals - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will review all of the functions of decimals. You'll learn how to solve math problems using decimals and study how to convert decimals into mixed numbers. Prior to taking the test, you'll review:
- Decimal place value
- How to compare and order decimals
- Adding and subtracting decimals
- Multiplying and dividing using decimals
- Using decimal numbers to solve problems
- Estimating decimals
- Converting decimals over to mixed numbers
Each lesson contains a short video to help illustrate the information. If you prefer text-based learning, you can use the video transcript that is included with each lesson. After you complete the lesson, take the self-assessment quiz to apply your knowledge and get an idea of how the questions may appear on the exam.
ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Decimals Objectives
The ASSET is generally administered to students after they have been accepted into a higher education or technical program. There is no passing grade and the purpose of the exam is to assess your strengths and identify areas where you may need improvement. The results of the exam can be used to develop a curriculum that suits your needs. Sometimes the ASSET is given to prospective students before they are accepted into an educational program.
The ASSET Numerical Skills Test consists of 32 multiple-choice questions. You will have 25 minutes to complete the exam. The information covered in this chapter prepares you for questions related to arithmetic, which represent 78% of the total exam.
1. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
2. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
3. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
4. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
5. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
6. How to Estimate with Decimals to Solve Math Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can estimate problems with decimals in them so you can get a quick answer when you need it - for example, when you are at the gas station and you need to know how much gas you can afford.
7. Converting Decimals to Mixed Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to convert easily between decimals and mixed numbers. Learn what kinds of decimals you can and cannot convert to a mixed number.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Solving Word Problems in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Basic Math Operations
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Operations with Fractions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Using Percents
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Calculating Taxes, Discounts & Interest
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Ratios & Proportions
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Understanding Math Formulas
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Factoring Prime & Composite Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Positive & Negative Numbers
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Absolute Value
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Inequalities in Math
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Scientific Notation
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test: Square Roots
- ASSET Numerical Skills Test Flashcards