About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering the associative and commutative properties will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the associative and the commutative properties. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the different number properties
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about the associative and the commutative properties
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in this chapter that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Associative Property & Commutative Property chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Associative Property & Commutative Property chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any associative property or commutative property question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in the associative property and commutative property unit of a standard number properties course. Topics covered include:
- Overview of the associative property
- Specific examples of the commutative property
- Using the commutative property of addition
- How these properties relate to algebraic expressions
1. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
2. The Commutative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three major properties that deal with the addition and multiplication of numbers. One of those properties is the commutative property. This lesson will define and give examples of the commutative property and how it works.
3. Commutative Property of Addition: Definition & Example
This lesson will explain the commutative property of addition, as well as provide examples of how this property is used. A quiz to test your knowledge will follow the lesson.
4. The Commutative and Associative Properties and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is important and useful, but a few mathematical properties highlight cases where order doesn't matter. In this lesson, we'll learn about the commutative and associative properties, which may save you time and effort.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.