About This Chapter
Circles - Chapter Summary
Knowing the basic properties of circles is key to understanding more complex mathematical principles you may encounter in the future. Our brief, information-packed video lessons will teach you what you need to know to deal with questions dealing with circles on the exam. Learn how to calculate the properties of circles, such as diameter, circumference, and area. These lessons cover:
- The definition of a circle
- Radii and diameters
- Circumferences and areas
- How to use pi.
- Surface-areas and volumes
Our video lessons will walk you through the definitions of terms related to circles and the formulas needed for determining a circle's properties. Follow along with the helpful video transcripts and then check out our self-assessment tests to see what you've learned. Our instructors are also available to answer any questions that you might have.
ASVAB Math Objectives
The Math Knowledge subtest of the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is used to determine familiarity with basic mathematical principles. This test in intended for those who wish to serve in the U.S. Armed Services, including many high school students. There are 25 multiple-choice questions in this subtest that must be completed with 24 minutes. The questions in this subtest account for just over 11% of the exam. Objectives for this chapter include:
- Defining a circle and its elements
- Determining the radius and diameter of a circle
- Using pi to calculate the circumference and area of a circle
- Memorizing formulas you will need for the exam
Our instructors have rounded up all the crucial information about circles you'll want to know before sitting for the ASVAB exam. After using our helpful study guide, you'll be ready to run circles around this section of the test!
1. Properties of Shapes: Circles
Circles are fundamental to everything we do. But, did you know they're much more than just round shapes? In this lesson, we'll look at the various parts of circles and how they all relate.
2. Diameter and Circumference Related with Pi
After watching this video, you will be able to tell others how the number pi is related to a circle's diameter and circumference. And using your newfound knowledge, you will be able to calculate the circumference or diameter of a circle.
3. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
4. How to Find the Radius of a Circle: Definition & Formula
In this lesson, you will discover the definition of a radius. You will also learn how to find the radius of a circle using three different formulas based on diameter, circumference, and area.
5. How to Find the Diameter of a Circle: Definition, Formula & Example
Learn the definition of the diameter of a circle and how to find it using a simple formula. See some examples, then test your knowledge with a short quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASVAB Mathematics Knowledge: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- ASVAB Math: Basic Arithmetic
- ASVAB Math: Math Expressions and Formulas
- ASVAB Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- ASVAB Math: Rounding Numbers and Decimals
- ASVAB Math: Fractions
- ASVAB Math: Factorials in Math
- ASVAB Math: Reciprocals
- ASVAB Math: Types of Numbers
- ASVAB Math: Patterns & Sequences
- ASVAB Math: Exponents
- ASVAB Math: Properties of Exponents
- ASVAB Math: Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- ASVAB Math: Factoring
- ASVAB Math: Quadratic Equations
- ASVAB Math: Working with Quadratic Equations
- ASVAB Math: Inequalities
- ASVAB Math: Calculating Interest
- ASVAB Math: Geometry
- About the ASVAB Test
- ASVAB Mathematics Knowledge Flashcards