About This Chapter
ASVAB Math: Fractions - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will prepare you for the ASVAB Math exam by getting you more comfortable with using fractions in simple and complex math problems. These lessons cover:
- Kinds of fractions
- How mixed numbers are changed to improper fractions
- Least common denominators
- Performing mathematical operations with fractions
- Solving complex fractions
We will teach you all the basic rules of fractions with our thorough, concise video lessons put together by our team of instructors. Study this chapter and then test what you've learned with our self-assessment quizzes.
ASVAB Math: Fractions Chapter Objectives
The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is a multiple-choice exam used to test the academic qualifications of those applying to the military. The Mathematics Knowledge subtest of the paper-based ASVAB is comprised of 25 questions that must be completed within 24 minutes. The computer-based version's Mathematics Knowledge subtest gives you 20 minutes to complete its 16 questions. The MK subtest's questions make up around 11% of the total items on the ASVAB.
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also, learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. How to Raise and Reduce Fractions
When working with fractions, you sometimes need to change your fraction to make it easier to work with. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can raise and reduce fractions to make your problem solving easier.
3. Relating Fractions and Decimals
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use both fractions and decimals to help you solve problems. Learn how to change between the two to use the best one for your problem.
4. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
5. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
6. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
7. How to Change Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions
When it comes to fractions in algebra, we hardly ever use mixed numbers. Instead, we opt for the ease of use of improper fractions. Watch this video lesson to learn how to change your mixed numbers to improper fractions.
8. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
9. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
10. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
11. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
12. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
13. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
14. Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division with Decimal Notation
Performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division has some differences when there are decimals involved. This lesson will explain how to perform these operations all while keeping the decimals straight.
15. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
Adding whole numbers is one thing. But adding fractions and mixed numbers? That's not so simple. Or is it? In this lesson, we'll practice arithmetic with both fractions and mixed numbers.
16. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
17. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASVAB Mathematics Knowledge: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- ASVAB Math: Basic Arithmetic
- ASVAB Math: Math Expressions and Formulas
- ASVAB Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- ASVAB Math: Rounding Numbers and Decimals
- ASVAB Math: Factorials in Math
- ASVAB Math: Reciprocals
- ASVAB Math: Types of Numbers
- ASVAB Math: Patterns & Sequences
- ASVAB Math: Exponents
- ASVAB Math: Properties of Exponents
- ASVAB Math: Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- ASVAB Math: Factoring
- ASVAB Math: Quadratic Equations
- ASVAB Math: Working with Quadratic Equations
- ASVAB Math: Inequalities
- ASVAB Math: Calculating Interest
- ASVAB Math: Circles
- ASVAB Math: Geometry
- About the ASVAB Test
- ASVAB Mathematics Knowledge Flashcards