About This Chapter
Math Expressions and Formulas - Chapter Summary
Achieve solid comprehension of the order of operations with this chapter's lessons. View the short video lessons for increased exposure and retention. This chapter provides lessons on the following:
- Rules with parentheses
- Order of operations
- Writing arithmetic expressions
- Formula evaluation
This chapter has practice questions and quizzes to explore after reviewing information on the rules regarding order of operations in math problems. Material is is engagingly demonstrated in the video lessons to enhance your facility with operations and understanding formulas.
ASVAB Math Objectives
Our lessons concerned with order of operations and math expressions encompass the related material seen on the ASVAB Mathematics Knowledge subtest's multiple-choice questions. The total math portion of the ASVAB is about 10% of the exam.
1. Parentheses in Math: Rules & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how parentheses are used in math. Learn how to read them as multiplication and how they let you know which numbers to work with first.
2. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
3. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
4. Understanding and Evaluating Math Formulas
With all the formulas out there, how do you know which one to pick? And how do you read formulas anyways? Watch this video lesson and you will find the answers to these questions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASVAB Mathematics Knowledge: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- ASVAB Math: Basic Arithmetic
- ASVAB Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- ASVAB Math: Rounding Numbers and Decimals
- ASVAB Math: Fractions
- ASVAB Math: Factorials in Math
- ASVAB Math: Reciprocals
- ASVAB Math: Types of Numbers
- ASVAB Math: Patterns & Sequences
- ASVAB Math: Exponents
- ASVAB Math: Properties of Exponents
- ASVAB Math: Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- ASVAB Math: Factoring
- ASVAB Math: Quadratic Equations
- ASVAB Math: Working with Quadratic Equations
- ASVAB Math: Inequalities
- ASVAB Math: Calculating Interest
- ASVAB Math: Circles
- ASVAB Math: Geometry
- About the ASVAB Test
- ASVAB Mathematics Knowledge Flashcards