About This Chapter
Solving Math Word Problems - Chapter Summary
Lessons in this chapter cover strategies and methods for solving the same types of word problems that you will encounter on the ASVAB exam. Lessons in this chapter go over the following relevant topics:
- Problem-solving steps for word problems
- Restating and personalizing word problems
- Visualizing geometry problems
- Word problems with time, percents and rates
The brief video lessons provide an engaging format through which to become comfortable with solving word problems. There are also quizzes available for you to see how well you understand and utilize the presented information.
ASVAB Math: Solving Math Word Problems Chapter Objectives
The ASVAB exam is a test used to assess one's readiness for military enlistment and an appropriate placement. The Arithmetic Knowledge subtest's 30 multiple-choice questions must be completed within 36 minutes. This chapter's lessons provide excellent preparation for the math content concerning word problems. A few of the objectives of this chapter's lessons are as follows:
- Personalizing a world problem to further your comprehension
- Understanding the series of steps called for by complex word problems
- Solving word problems that use time
1. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
2. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
3. Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use sketches and notes to help you visualize a problem. Watch how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have visualized it.
4. Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding
When it comes to word problems, being able to personalize a word problem with more familiar situations will help you a lot in your problem solving. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can restate the word problem in terms you understand.
5. How to Solve Problems with Time
It's amazing how much time can be saved when people work together. In this lesson, we'll practice figuring out just how much time we're talking about as we solve problems involving time.
6. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
7. Percentage Increase and Decrease: Calculation and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to calculate the percentage increase and decrease of changes that happen over time. You will also learn what you need in order to make your calculations.
8. How to Solve Visualizing Geometry Problems
A picture is worth a thousand words, but sometimes drawing that picture can be like doing origami with your eyes closed. Practice translating complex problems into simple, meaningful images in this lesson.
9. Solving Problems Using Rates
In this video lesson, learn how to set up rate problems so you can easily solve them. You will become familiar with the rate formula and you will see how easy it is to use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASVAB Mathematics Knowledge: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- ASVAB Math: Basic Arithmetic
- ASVAB Math: Math Expressions and Formulas
- ASVAB Math: Rounding Numbers and Decimals
- ASVAB Math: Fractions
- ASVAB Math: Factorials in Math
- ASVAB Math: Reciprocals
- ASVAB Math: Types of Numbers
- ASVAB Math: Patterns & Sequences
- ASVAB Math: Exponents
- ASVAB Math: Properties of Exponents
- ASVAB Math: Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- ASVAB Math: Factoring
- ASVAB Math: Quadratic Equations
- ASVAB Math: Working with Quadratic Equations
- ASVAB Math: Inequalities
- ASVAB Math: Calculating Interest
- ASVAB Math: Circles
- ASVAB Math: Geometry
- About the ASVAB Test
- ASVAB Mathematics Knowledge Flashcards