About This Chapter
ASVAB: Mathematical Operations - Chapter Summary
You'll find two math subtests on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB). This comprehensive chapter of video lessons will guide your review of the following topics:
- Changing between improper fractions and mixed numbers
- Rounding numbers, including decimals
- Computations with whole numbers and decimals
- Performing operations with measurements
- Solving time, rate and percent problems
- Visualizing geometry problems
Experts in the field have written these user-friendly and targeted lessons. You can watch each video in the chapter or pick and choose the ones you need most. There are also full transcripts if you'd rather read your lessons. Take the quick quiz at the end of each lesson to make sure you're ready to move forward.
ASVAB: Mathematical Operations Objectives
The ASVAB is used to determine which placements within the military are most appropriate for recruits. The battery contains two math subtests: Arithmetic Reasoning measures your ability to solve math word problems, and Mathematics Knowledge checks for skills related to high school math principles. You may choose to take either the pencil and paper or computer-assisted version of the battery. Our multiple-choice assessments give you invaluable experience with the types of questions you might encounter on the ASVAB.
1. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
2. How to Change Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions
When it comes to fractions in algebra, we hardly ever use mixed numbers. Instead, we opt for the ease of use of improper fractions. Watch this video lesson to learn how to change your mixed numbers to improper fractions.
3. How Zeros Are Used in Decimals
Zero is a very small but also very important digit. Watch this lesson and learn how it is used in decimal numbers to keep place and for accuracy purposes.
4. How to Round Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any decimal number and round it any which way you want. Learn the tipping point that determines whether to go up to the next number or not.
5. Rounding Numbers: Definition & Rules
Rounding a number is useful when you want to estimate a value. To round a number, you need to follow three simple steps, which you will learn in this lesson.
6. Arithmetic with Whole Numbers
There are four basic mathematical operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These four operations are used in a wide range of everyday skills and are the fundamental blocks of arithmetic.
7. Arithmetic with Decimal Numbers
Watch this video lesson and see how our little professor goes about adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing decimal numbers all without the use of a calculator!
8. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
9. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
10. How to Perform Basic Operations with Measurements
In this video lesson, you will learn how measurements are very much like variables when it comes to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing them. You will also see examples of how they are done.
11. Common Unit Conversions
Watch this video lesson, and you will become a pro at converting between inches and feet, between feet and yards, and between quarts and gallons. Learn the special numbers involved in each conversion.
12. How to Solve Problems with Time
It's amazing how much time can be saved when people work together. In this lesson, we'll practice figuring out just how much time we're talking about as we solve problems involving time.
13. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
14. How to Solve Visualizing Geometry Problems
A picture is worth a thousand words, but sometimes drawing that picture can be like doing origami with your eyes closed. Practice translating complex problems into simple, meaningful images in this lesson.
15. Solving Problems Using Rates
In this video lesson, learn how to set up rate problems so you can easily solve them. You will become familiar with the rate formula and you will see how easy it is to use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASVAB Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASVAB: Cell Biology
- ASVAB: Respiration & Photosynthesis
- ASVAB: Cell Division
- ASVAB: Genetics
- ASVAB: Evolution
- ASVAB: Classification
- ASVAB: Plant Biology
- ASVAB: Animal Biology
- ASVAB: Nutrition
- ASVAB: The Human Digestive System
- ASVAB: The Human Respiratory & Circulatory Systems
- ASVAB: The Human Excretory System
- ASVAB: The Human Endocrine System
- ASVAB: The Human Nervous System
- ASVAB: Human Reproduction
- ASVAB: Ecology
- ASVAB: Matter & Atomic Structure
- ASVAB: The Periodic Table
- ASVAB: Chemical Reactions & Bonding
- ASVAB: Measurement
- ASVAB: Nuclear Chemistry
- ASVAB: Motion
- ASVAB: Force
- ASVAB: Energy & Work
- ASVAB: Fluids
- ASVAB: Waves & Sound
- ASVAB: Geology
- ASVAB: Meteorology
- ASVAB: Oceanography
- ASVAB: Astronomy
- ASVAB: Understanding Words & Context
- ASVAB: Paragraph Comprehension
- ASVAB: Numbers
- ASVAB: Math Word Problems
- ASVAB: Numbers & Operations
- ASVAB: Fractions
- ASVAB: Basic Expressions
- ASVAB: Solving Equations
- ASVAB: Exponents
- ASVAB: Polynomials
- ASVAB: Geometry & Algebra
- ASVAB: Electric Force & Charge
- ASVAB: Magnetism
- ASVAB: Electric Circuits
- ASVAB: Power, Devices & Computers
- ASVAB: Mechanical Comprehension
- ASVAB: Assembling Objects
- ASVAB Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery Flashcards