About This Chapter
ASVAB: Plant Biology - Chapter Summary
Delve into lessons about the different parts of a flower and plant stem structure to become better acquainted with some material you may come across on the ASVAB test. You'll become familiar with how vascular, nonvascular, monocot and dicot plants are individually classified and their major differences.You may also gain knowledge of these topics as you're navigating the chapter:
- The evolution of plants and fungi
- Angiosperm and gymnosperm life cycles
- Apical meristem and lateral meristem
- Characteristics of algae
- The structure of leaves
- Root parts and their functions
- Growth of the root system
- The five groups of fungi
Each fun video across the chapter effectively breaks down the main topics in a short amount of time. The videos are animated and narrated by our expert instructors. These lessons can be easily incorporated into your busy day since they can be taken along and accessed via your wireless technology no matter where you are.
ASVAB: Plant Biology Chapter Objectives
The ASVAB's questions are used to determined whether someone's competencies are acceptable for military enlistment. You'll find that material from this chapter shows up in the General Science (GS) ASVAB subtest, which contains 25 multiple-choice items on the paper version and 16 multiple-choice questions on the computerized exam. The GS subtest examines your familiarity with biological as well as physical sciences.
1. The Evolution of Plants and Fungi: Characteristics & Evolutionary History
In early classification systems, plants and fungi were grouped together. While there are some similarities between these two kingdoms, there are some key differences that we will explore.
2. What is Algae? - Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Plants are not the only organisms capable of carrying out photosynthesis. In this lesson we will look at algae and how an algal species can be differentiated from other organisms and microbes.
3. The Diversity of Fungi
The Fungi Kingdom is unique and quite diverse. In this video lesson, you'll learn about the different groups of fungi and see how fungi are much more than just mushrooms and molds!
4. Classification of Vascular, Nonvascular, Monocot & Dicot Plants
Plants may not seem like the most interesting things around, but they are definitely useful. In this lesson, we will explore the basic classification of plants and the unique characteristics of each group.
5. A Gymnosperm Life Cycle: Reproduction of Plants with 'Naked Seeds'
Some plants, such as pine trees, are able to reproduce with unprotected seeds. We will look at the major structures involved in this form of alternation of generations in gymnosperms.
6. Flowers: Structure and Function of Male & Female Components
In this lesson, we'll look at the parts of a flower and learn their functions. These natural beauties provide indispensable services to the plants they adorn.
7. An Angiosperm Life Cycle: Flowering Plant Reproduction
When you think of how plants reproduce, you probably think of flowers. We will look at how flowering plants use specialized reproductive structures to complete an alternation of generations life cycle.
8. Structure of Plant Stems: Vascular and Ground Tissue
You can determine the age of a tree by looking at its rings. In this lesson, we will look at the basic structures of stems and explore what causes the rings in a tree trunk.
9. Apical Meristem & Primary Shoot System Growth
Just like humans, plants need to grow. In this lesson, you'll see how plant growth occurs at specific locations and how the height of the plant is increased.
10. Lateral Meristem & Secondary Shoot System Growth
Why do some plants experience a secondary growth? Why do some plants grow only in height but others grow in height and width? Discover the answers to these questions in this lesson.
11. Structure of Leaves: The Epidermis, Palisade and Spongy Layers
Leaves may look pretty in the fall when they are changing colors, but they also provide many necessary functions for plants. In this lesson, we will explore the structures and functions of leaves.
12. Primary Root Tissue, Root Hairs and the Plant Vascular Cylinder
Roots of plants can provide support, food and water. We will look at diagrams and photos to see the different parts of roots in order to explain these different functions.
13. Root System Growth: The Root Cap, Primary Roots & Lateral Roots
It is easy to see some plants get taller, but it is important to know that plants must also have a strong support that we cannot always see. Root growth helps plants survive and can happen in two ways.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASVAB Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASVAB: Cell Biology
- ASVAB: Respiration & Photosynthesis
- ASVAB: Cell Division
- ASVAB: Genetics
- ASVAB: Evolution
- ASVAB: Classification
- ASVAB: Animal Biology
- ASVAB: Nutrition
- ASVAB: The Human Digestive System
- ASVAB: The Human Respiratory & Circulatory Systems
- ASVAB: The Human Excretory System
- ASVAB: The Human Endocrine System
- ASVAB: The Human Nervous System
- ASVAB: Human Reproduction
- ASVAB: Ecology
- ASVAB: Matter & Atomic Structure
- ASVAB: The Periodic Table
- ASVAB: Chemical Reactions & Bonding
- ASVAB: Measurement
- ASVAB: Nuclear Chemistry
- ASVAB: Motion
- ASVAB: Force
- ASVAB: Energy & Work
- ASVAB: Fluids
- ASVAB: Waves & Sound
- ASVAB: Geology
- ASVAB: Meteorology
- ASVAB: Oceanography
- ASVAB: Astronomy
- ASVAB: Understanding Words & Context
- ASVAB: Paragraph Comprehension
- ASVAB: Numbers
- ASVAB: Mathematical Operations
- ASVAB: Math Word Problems
- ASVAB: Numbers & Operations
- ASVAB: Fractions
- ASVAB: Basic Expressions
- ASVAB: Solving Equations
- ASVAB: Exponents
- ASVAB: Polynomials
- ASVAB: Geometry & Algebra
- ASVAB: Electric Force & Charge
- ASVAB: Magnetism
- ASVAB: Electric Circuits
- ASVAB: Power, Devices & Computers
- ASVAB: Mechanical Comprehension
- ASVAB: Assembling Objects
- ASVAB Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery Flashcards