About This Chapter
ASVAB: Polynomials- Chapter Summary
This carefully selected set of video lessons will help you review the basics of polynomials for the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB). Our lessons include practice in all the following areas:
- Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials
- Using the FOIL and area method to multiply binomials
- Factoring quadratic equations
- FOIL in reverse
Experienced instructors present our lessons with your needs in mind. You can view each video, pausing or going back whenever needed. There are also full transcripts, if you'd rather read the information or go back to review after watching the presentation. By taking the short, multiple-choice quiz that follows each lesson, in addition to the chapter test, you'll have an easy way to measure your progress. If you run into any questions not addressed in the lessons, you can always contact our subject-matter experts for additional input.
Objectives of the ASVAB: Polynomials Chapter
The results of the complete ASVAB are used to determine the position for which you're best suited in the military. You can take either the computer-assisted or the pencil and paper version of the test. The ASVAB has two math sub-tests: Arithmetic Reasoning measures your ability to solve math word problems, and Mathematics Knowledge assesses your understanding of high school math principles. Our quizzes and chapter test will give you beneficial experience for the multiple-choice questions on the ASVAB.
1. What are Polynomials, Binomials, and Quadratics?
What do polynomials, binomials, and quadratics have in common? What are their differences? How can you identify each of them? Watch this video lesson to find the answers.
2. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
3. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL and the Area Method
From the distributive property, to FOIL, to the area model, to happy faces and claws, there are many different ways to learn how to multiply binomials. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use all of them and get to pick which one you like the most.
4. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL & the Area Method: Practice Problems
There are a few mistakes that are easy to make when multiplying binomials with FOIL and also a few ways to complicate problems like this, so why not make sure you're brushed up on your skills? You'll also learn a shortcut and how to use the area method to multiply even bigger polynomials.
5. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
So, you know how to multiply binomials with the FOIL method, but can you do it backwards? That's exactly what factoring is, and it can be pretty tricky. Check out this lesson to learn a method that will allow you to factor quadratic trinomials with a leading coefficient of 1.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASVAB Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery: Practice & Study Guide course
- ASVAB: Cell Biology
- ASVAB: Respiration & Photosynthesis
- ASVAB: Cell Division
- ASVAB: Genetics
- ASVAB: Evolution
- ASVAB: Classification
- ASVAB: Plant Biology
- ASVAB: Animal Biology
- ASVAB: Nutrition
- ASVAB: The Human Digestive System
- ASVAB: The Human Respiratory & Circulatory Systems
- ASVAB: The Human Excretory System
- ASVAB: The Human Endocrine System
- ASVAB: The Human Nervous System
- ASVAB: Human Reproduction
- ASVAB: Ecology
- ASVAB: Matter & Atomic Structure
- ASVAB: The Periodic Table
- ASVAB: Chemical Reactions & Bonding
- ASVAB: Measurement
- ASVAB: Nuclear Chemistry
- ASVAB: Motion
- ASVAB: Force
- ASVAB: Energy & Work
- ASVAB: Fluids
- ASVAB: Waves & Sound
- ASVAB: Geology
- ASVAB: Meteorology
- ASVAB: Oceanography
- ASVAB: Astronomy
- ASVAB: Understanding Words & Context
- ASVAB: Paragraph Comprehension
- ASVAB: Numbers
- ASVAB: Mathematical Operations
- ASVAB: Math Word Problems
- ASVAB: Numbers & Operations
- ASVAB: Fractions
- ASVAB: Basic Expressions
- ASVAB: Solving Equations
- ASVAB: Exponents
- ASVAB: Geometry & Algebra
- ASVAB: Electric Force & Charge
- ASVAB: Magnetism
- ASVAB: Electric Circuits
- ASVAB: Power, Devices & Computers
- ASVAB: Mechanical Comprehension
- ASVAB: Assembling Objects
- ASVAB Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery Flashcards