About This Chapter
Atlas Skills & Major Cities of the World - Chapter Summary
In this chapter on atlas skills and major cities of the world, you'll learn to locate places like Asian and African cities. You'll also get a better understanding of what continents are. After completing the chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Discuss the use of atlases and almanacs as sources of geographic information
- Explain what counties, states, countries, and continents are
- Locate capitals on a map
- Find major cities of the Americas on a map
- Identify major Middle Eastern cities on a map
- Recognize major cities of Oceania on a map
These brief and informative lessons include engaging illustrations and plenty of real-world examples. Each lesson includes a short multiple-choice quiz to test your knowledge. The quizzes link back to specific topics in the video, so if you get a question wrong it's easy to look up that particular topic.
1. Atlases & Almanacs as Sources of Geographic Information
Just like any other profession, geographers have specialized tools to help them. While they also rely on technologies like satellite imagery and advanced surveying tools, many geographers also use almanacs and atlases in their daily work.
2. How to Locate Places on the World Map
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what continents, countries, states, and counties are, and use them to locate a particular place on a world map. A short quiz will follow.
3. Finding Major African Cities on a Map
Africa is home to a lot of people, and many of them live in cities. In this lesson, we'll check out six major African cities and learn how to find each on a map.
4. Finding Major Cities of the Americas on a Map
This lesson will help prepare you for your geography Common Entrance Exam at 13+. Learn where the capitals and major cities are for the Americas. Practice locating them on the maps in this lesson.
5. Finding Major Middle Eastern Cities on a Map
Some countries in the Middle East are frequently mentioned in the news. This lesson will show you how to locate some of the major capitals of cities in the Middle East region.
6. Finding Major Asian Cities on a Map
Asia is a big continent with many countries. Have you ever wondered where Kolkata and Shanghai are? With this lesson, you'll learn how to locate a number of various countries along with their respective capitals.
7. Finding Major Cities of Oceania on a Map
Oceania is a collection of islands in the South Pacific Ocean. In this lesson, we will learn where three countries are located in Oceania, along with major cities in those countries.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ Geography: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- World Geography: Facts & Locations
- Ordnance Survey Mapwork Skills
- Geographic Fieldwork & Enquiry Skills: Data Collection
- Geographic Fieldwork & Enquiry Skills: Data Presentation
- Earthquakes & Volcanoes
- Weather & Climate
- Rivers & Coasts
- Population & Settlement
- Transport & Industry
- Geography of the British Isles
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ Geography Flashcards