About This Chapter
Atmosphere & Weather - Chapter Summary
Get ready to study important information about the atmosphere and weather. You will learn about concepts such as the dew point, wind, precipitation and hurricanes. The topics that will be reviewed in this chapter include:
- Layers of the atmosphere
- Effects of atmospheric pressure
- Factors that influence the atmosphere such as temperature and humidity
- How to calculate the dew point and relative humidity
- Causes of wind
- How clouds and thunderstorms form
- Different types of precipitation
- Relationship between air mass and weather fronts
- Movement of air masses
- Classification of tornadoes
- How hurricanes develop
- Components of a weather pattern
This chapter is divided into engaging and informative lessons that are easy for you to understand. The video lessons have a timeline feature that allow you to skip around. The text lessons have terms in bold, so you can clearly see the most important information. The quizzes will test you on what you have reviewed in the lesson.
1. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
2. Atmospheric Pressure: Definition & Effects
Atmospheric pressure is around us all of the time. The air you are breathing has weight, and although it doesn't weigh a lot, there is a lot of it around. This lesson will cover atmospheric pressure and its effects.
3. Temperature, Clouds, Wind & Humidity on the Atmospheric Cycle
Weather is the current state of the atmosphere and is determined by factors like temperature, pressure and humidity. These factors that cause periodic changes in the Earth's air masses are explored in this lesson.
4. What is Relative Humidity? - Definition, Equation & Calculation
This lesson explains the concept of relative humidity. It helps you understand why thunderstorms occur in the late afternoon or why dew forms overnight. A summary and brief quiz is also included.
5. What is Dew Point? - Definition, Formula & Calculation
Learn what the dew point is and how to calculate it. Understand the characteristics of the dew point temperature and how it's a useful aspect of forecasting the weather.
6. What is Wind? - Definition, Causes, Properties & Characteristics
Wind is an important phenomenon that we have all experienced. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the definition, its causes, and characteristics. Then, test your knowledge with a quiz.
7. What is Cloud Formation? - Definition, Types & Process
There are many different types of clouds that form in the sky. In this video lesson you will learn about how clouds form, as well as the different types of clouds and how they are classified.
8. Precipitation: Types & Formation
In this lesson, we'll explain what precipitation is and how it forms. We'll then go over the characteristics of the five types of precipitation: rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain, and hail.
9. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
10. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
11. What Are Thunderstorms? - Definition, Types & Formation
Thunderstorms are common all over the world. In this video lesson, you will learn what they are, how they form and how they create thunder and lightning.
12. What Are Tornadoes? - Definition, Causes & The Enhanced Fujita Scale
Tornadoes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people. In this video lesson, you will learn how and where they form, as well as how scientists classify tornadoes using the Enhanced Fujita Scale.
13. Hurricanes: Types, Formation, Causes & Effects
Hurricanes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people each year. But what are hurricanes and how do they form? In this video lesson you'll learn about where and how hurricanes develop as well as the types of hurricanes that are possible.
14. Weather Patterns: Definition, Development & Movement
In this lesson, you'll be learning about weather patterns. We'll cover the five main components of weather and look at how specific patterns develop, as well as the forces driving weather movement across the world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards