About This Chapter
Atmospheric Changes - Chapter Summary
While going through the chapter, you'll come across some lessons that target pollution. Specifically, different causes of air pollution and major air pollutants are discussed. The differences between how developed and developing countries address air pollution are also included. The video lessons explore these other issues for your review as well:
- Key factors that influence the climate of an area
- Global warming's various causes and effects
- Approaches to slowing the rate of global warming
These short videos individually cover their topics in just about five minutes. Video tags let you easily go back to any point in a lesson for another look at something. If a computer is not close to you, you can check out these videos on a mobile device. Self-assessment quizzes accompany each lesson for you to confirm how familiar you are with the content.
1. The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of the ozone layer and how it is depleted. You will also study the research and policy that has been instrumental in its recovery.
2. Factors Involved in Climate Change
Our Earth's climate has changed many times in her 4.5 billion year lifetime. Discover the multiple factors that influence these changes and test your understanding with a short quiz.
3. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
4. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
5. Global Climate Change: Effects and Mitigation Strategies
In this video lesson, you will learn about the potential effects of global climate change. You will also learn how some are working to better understand climate change in order to slow the rate of temperature increase on Earth.
6. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about the sources and types of air pollution. You will be able to identify the six classes of air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act of 1970.
7. Controlling Air Pollution: How Developed & Developing Nations Differ
In this lesson, you will learn how air pollution is controlled in developed and developing nations. You will also learn about the U.S. Clean Air Act and how it has evolved over the years to address air pollution in the United States.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Earth & Space Science - WEST (307): Practice & Study Guide course
- The Scientific Revolution & Society
- Scientific Research & Experiments
- Laboratory Equipment, Solutions & Measurements
- Using Mathematics in Science
- Reading & Constructing Maps
- Cycles and Spheres of Earth
- Rocks & Minerals
- Earth's Internal Structure
- The Lithosphere
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Weathering, Erosion & Soil
- Geologic Time & Relative Dating
- Natural Resources & Energy
- Earth's Water Balance
- Oceans & Tides
- Ground Water Systems
- Flowing Water
- Water Resource Issues
- Atmospheric Cycle & Solar Energy
- Earth's Climate Systems
- Air Masses & Wind
- Severe Weather & Disturbances
- Weather Forecasting & Analysis
- Formation & Phases of the Moon
- The Sun's Structure, Energy & Life Cycle
- Solar Radiation, Energy & Light
- Orbits & Gravity
- Formation of the Solar System
- Solar System Components & Characteristics
- The Laws of Kepler & Newton
- Star Types & Life Cycle
- Stars, Energy & Spectra
- Cosmological Theories of the Universe
- Space Science Technology
- NES/WEST Earth & Space Science Flashcards