About This Chapter
Atmospheric Cycle & Solar Energy - Chapter Summary
The major variables that affect the weather, such as wind and cloudiness, are examined in this chapter. You'll come across the definitions of solar energy and learn about the the atmospheric effects of Earth's tilt in other lessons. You additionally get to review info on the following:
- Components and structure of the atmosphere
- Factors that change the atmospheric cycyle
- Types of heat transfer, including, conduction, radiation and convection
- Kinds of greenhouse gases and the Greenhouse Effect
- Ways that solar radiation is transferred
Video lessons last only 5-10 minutes each. Spread these videos out across bits of free time or watch them back-to-back according to your schedule. Revisit any portions of these videos for additional review with the video tags. The chapter features practice quizzes with each lesson so that you can demonstrate your understanding as you progress through the material.
1. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
2. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
3. Temperature, Clouds, Wind & Humidity on the Atmospheric Cycle
Weather is the current state of the atmosphere and is determined by factors like temperature, pressure and humidity. These factors that cause periodic changes in the Earth's air masses are explored in this lesson.
4. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
5. Greenhouse Gases and the Enhanced Greenhouse Effect
In this video lesson, you will learn about the five main greenhouse gases and how their unnaturally high concentrations are leading to the enhanced greenhouse effect and global climate change on Earth.
6. Solar Energy: Effects on Earth's Temperature
In this video lesson, learn about solar energy and how it affects temperatures on Earth. You will also learn what causes changes in day length and why some parts of Earth experience seasonal differences throughout the year.
7. Solar Radiation Transfer: Absorption, Reflection & Scattering
The sun constantly showers Earth with radiation. Some is absorbed, some is reflected, and some is scattered by the atmosphere. Here, we will explore what happens to this radiation and finish with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Earth & Space Science - WEST (307): Practice & Study Guide course
- The Scientific Revolution & Society
- Scientific Research & Experiments
- Laboratory Equipment, Solutions & Measurements
- Using Mathematics in Science
- Reading & Constructing Maps
- Cycles and Spheres of Earth
- Rocks & Minerals
- Earth's Internal Structure
- The Lithosphere
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Weathering, Erosion & Soil
- Geologic Time & Relative Dating
- Natural Resources & Energy
- Earth's Water Balance
- Oceans & Tides
- Ground Water Systems
- Flowing Water
- Water Resource Issues
- Earth's Climate Systems
- Air Masses & Wind
- Severe Weather & Disturbances
- Weather Forecasting & Analysis
- Atmospheric Changes
- Formation & Phases of the Moon
- The Sun's Structure, Energy & Life Cycle
- Solar Radiation, Energy & Light
- Orbits & Gravity
- Formation of the Solar System
- Solar System Components & Characteristics
- The Laws of Kepler & Newton
- Star Types & Life Cycle
- Stars, Energy & Spectra
- Cosmological Theories of the Universe
- Space Science Technology
- NES/WEST Earth & Space Science Flashcards