About This Chapter
The earth has been changed throughout time by internal and external forces. This chapter will help you discover more about what exactly has happened to shape the earth as we know it today. You'll get to study the different forces and see how things, like the weather, have had a profound impact on the earth. Our lessons will also help you to explore related topics, like global warming. In addition, you'll study many of the important cycles of the earth, such as the water cycle. After finishing this chapter you will have learned about things like:
- External forces that shape the earth
- How wind affects the atmospheric cycle
- How a climate is affected by weather
- How global warning affects a climate
- The steps in the water cycle
- The importance of the carbon cycle
|The Dynamic Earth: Internal & External Forces that Shape Earth's Surface||Discover what internal and external forces have shaped the earth.|
|Temperature, Clouds, Wind & Humidity on the Atmospheric Cycle||Explore how things like wind and humidity can affect the atmosphere.|
|How Weather Patterns Affect the Climate of a Region||Analyze a how a climate changes based on its weather.|
|Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate||Take a look at global warming, and study the causes and effects.|
|The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation and Evaporation||Examine the different stages of the water cycle.|
|Cycles of Matter: The Nitrogen Cycle and the Carbon Cycle||See how matter is affected by the nitrogen and carbon cycles.|
1. The Dynamic Earth: Internal & External Forces that Shape Earth's Surface
There are many geologic processes that shape the surface of the Earth. Not only do they build and destroy a variety of landscapes, but they also give us clues to the interior of the Earth and the forces that exist there.
2. Temperature, Clouds, Wind & Humidity on the Atmospheric Cycle
Weather is the current state of the atmosphere and is determined by factors like temperature, pressure and humidity. These factors that cause periodic changes in the Earth's air masses are explored in this lesson.
3. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
4. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
5. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
6. Cycles of Matter: The Nitrogen Cycle and the Carbon Cycle
Matter is constantly cycled between living and nonliving parts of the environment. Processes like photosynthesis and nitrogen fixation allow the carbon and nitrogen cycles to regenerate needed substances by recycling Earth's atoms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CLEP Natural Sciences: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Atomic Structure & Fundamentals of Matter
- Properties of Matter
- Fundamentals of Thermodynamics
- Waves, Sound, and Light
- The Universe
- Biology of the Cell
- Biochemistry Foundations
- Chemical Nature of the Gene
- Cellular Reproduction Processes
- Introduction to Plant Biology
- Human Anatomy
- Animal Reproduction, Growth and Development
- Evolution: Theories and Principles
- The Origin and History of Life On Earth
- Phylogeny and the Classification of Organisms
- Human and Social Biology
- CLEP Natural Sciences Flashcards