About This Chapter
Atomic and Molecular Structure - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our lessons focus on the fundamentals of atomic and molecular structure. Topics covered in these videos include:
- Defining elements
- Discussing the foundational elements of life
- Examining the atom
- Discussing the electron shell
Our brief and engaging videos, developed and taught by experts in their field, make learning easy. You may watch the videos as often as necessary to grasp the materials. Look for links to text lessons offering additional details about key terms. Read transcripts of the video lessons to help you study the information presented by our instructors. At the end of the chapter, take the multiple choice exam to assess your mastery of lesson materials.
1. What Are Elements?
Look around you. What do you see? Elements are everywhere. They are the building blocks of all matter on Earth. In this lesson, we will discuss what an element is, how elements are written as symbols, and how elements are the building blocks of all matter.
2. The Foundational Elements of Life
Living things are complex products of their environments. They are made of a number of different natural elements, many of which are essential to survival. Because of this, they are considered foundational elements and they support life on Earth as we know it.
3. The Atom
Tune into this lesson to find out what matters about matter. What exactly is an atom? And, how do the atoms that make up the elements in the periodic table differ from one another?
4. The Electron Shell
You may be familiar with the role of electrons in electrical devices, but did you know that electrons also determine the chemical reactivity of everything around you?
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Biology: Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Chemical Bonds and Reactions
- Types of Organic Molecules
- How Enzymes Work
- Basics of Metabolic Biochemistry
- Cell Biology
- Overview of Cell Division
- Process of DNA Replication
- The Transcription and Translation Process
- Basics of Gene Mutations
- Basic Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques
- Biology of Genetics
- Mechanisms of Biological Evolution
- The Origin of Life on Earth
- Processes of Scientific Inquiry and Experimental Design
- Processes of Scientific Data Collection and Manipulation
- The Multidisciplinary Nature of Biology
- Important Figures and Events in Biology
- Lab Safety Procedures and Hazards
- Using Laboratory Equipment
- Science, Technology and the Environment
- Organism Classification & Phylogenesis
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Physiology I: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- Physiology II: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- Animal Reproduction and Development
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Plant Biology
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Populations and Biological Communities
- Overview of Animal Behavior
- Ecosystems and Biomes
- Biochemical Cycles
- Human Activity and the Biosphere