About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Attitudes and Values in the Workplace chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| Overview of values|
Attitudes in the workplace
Cognitive dissonance in the workplace
|Definition of values and why they are important, analysis of terminal, instrumental, cultural and dominant values|
Definition of attitudes and their cognitive, affective and behavioral components
Definition of cognitive dissonance and its impact on behaviors in the workplace
|Tuesday|| Generational values|
Locus of control
|How values can vary by the age of the worker, common values in the workplace today|
Definition of locus of control, both internal and external, pros and cons of each viewpoint
|Wednesday|| Major job attitudes|
|Overview of types of job attitudes, aspects of job attitudes and the role of organizational commitment|
Definition of job satisfaction, causes, ways to gauge it, impact on performance
|Thursday|| Job dissatisfaction|
Deviant workplace behavior
|Causes of job dissatisfaction and how employees react|
Types of deviant behavior, ways deviant behaviors impact an organization
|Friday|| Organizational citizenship behavior|
|Definition of organizational citizenship, examples, why it is important|
Definition of organizational identification, why it is important, examples
1. What are Values? - Terminal, Instrumental, Dominant & Cultural
Every person has different values, but did you know there are different types of values? In this lesson, we will look at the different types of values and explain their relation to the world around us.
2. Types of Attitudes in the Workplace: Cognitive, Affective & Behavioral Components
Attitudes are all around us and indeed impact our behavior. There are three main aspects of attitudes at work, and in this lesson, we will focus on those and help you to develop an understanding of their place in the work environment.
3. How Cognitive Dissonance Affects Workplace Behaviors
Many times we have conflicting emotions within us as they relate to a specific situation. That conflict is called cognitive dissonance and is present in a great many professional and personal settings.
4. Generational Values in the Workplace: Differences and Dominant Values
Every generation makes its mark on the world, and every generation is influenced by the world they grow up in. In this lesson, we will look at the different generations and compare and contrast worldviews and values in the workplace.
5. Locus of Control: Definition and Examples of Internal and External
Is your locus of control internal or external? Your perception of where control lies can have an impact on your viewpoint and the way you interact with your environment. This lesson explores the differences between internal and external lotus of control and how each impacts organizational behavior.
6. Major Job Attitudes: Satisfaction, Commitment, Engagement & More
Each person has a different level of attitude about their job and that attitude can be rated, if you will, by how involved the individual is in his or her job. In this lesson, we will look at job attitudes as they relate to job satisfaction, commitment, engagement, and more.
7. What is Job Satisfaction: Definition, Causes and Factors
Job satisfaction is more of a journey, not a destination, as it applies to both employees and the employer. As we will see in this lesson, there is no definitive way to measure job satisfaction or to ensure it.
8. Job Dissatisfaction: Causes, Reasons and Employee Responses
There is a level of job satisfaction for each person and each job performed. Problems occur when people are not happy with their jobs. In this lesson, we will look at causes for job dissatisfaction as well as employee responses.
9. Deviant Workplace Behavior: Negative Effects on an Organization
Deviant workplace behavior can be a serious issue for any company. It has a wide range of impacts on the organization and needs to be understood and dealt with as it arises.
10. Organizational Citizenship Behavior in the Workplace: Definition and Examples
Organizational citizenship is a concept that all companies wish to have but very few can actually achieve. It is rooted in individual employees' view of the company and how they associate themselves with it.
11. Organizational Identification: Definition and Relevance to Organizational Behavior
Organizational identification (OID) is a situation in which the employee and the company share the same goals and values. In this lesson, we will discuss the importance of that aspect as it relates to the business environment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Organizational Behavior Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- The Evolution of Organizational Behavior: Lesson Plans
- Foundations of Individual Behavior: Lesson Plans
- Personality and Behavior in Organizations: Lesson Plans
- Emotions and Moods in the Workplace: Lesson Plans
- Ethics in the Workplace: Lesson Plans
- Perception and Attribution: Lesson Plans
- Learning in the Workplace: Lesson Plans
- Employee Motivation: Lesson Plans
- Individual Decision Making in Organizations: Lesson Plans
- Workforce Diversity: Lesson Plans
- Organizational Communication in Business: Lesson Plans
- Groups and Work Teams: Lesson Plans
- Group Decision Making: Lesson Plans
- Conflict in the Workplace: Lesson Plans
- Leadership in Organizational Behavior: Lesson Plans
- Leadership Theory in Organizational Behavior: Lesson Plans
- Organizational Structure and Design: Lesson Plans
- Job Design: Lesson Plans
- Organizational Culture: Lesson Plans
- Organizational Change and Behavior: Lesson Plans
- Managing Workplace Stress: Lesson Plans
- Career Management: Lesson Plans
- Global Implications of Organizational Behavior: Lesson Plans