About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your atypical development homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample questions and get instant feedback.
- Finish your atypical development homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Abnormal human development
- Social norms
- Developmental abnormalities in children
- Emotional and behavioral disorders
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Mood and anxiety disorders
- Eating disorders
- Substance related disorders
- Developmental abnormalities in adults
- Dementia and Alzheimer's
- Chronic illness and physical disabilities
- Mental disabilities
1. Abnormal Human Development: Definition & Examples
Abnormal development occurs when a person develops an unusual pattern of behavior, emotion or thought. In this lesson, you will learn what abnormal development is, how it is determined and examine different examples.
2. Classification & Diagnosis of Psychological Disorders
How do you diagnose something that you can't see? That's the problem faced by psychologists. This lesson will show you the tool they use to help diagnose their patients.
3. What Are Social Norms? Definition & Examples in Infants, Children & Adults
In this lesson, you will gain an understanding of social norms and define related terms. You will also examine the effects of social norms in infants, children, adolescents, and adults.
4. Developmental Abnormalities in Children: Effects & Impacts on Learning
Developmental abnormalities in children have an impact on their learning and social skills. Examine an example in this lesson that will help you learn about the importance of early intervention.
5. Behavioral Characteristics of Children with Asperger Syndrome
If you have never met a person with Asperger syndrome, you might wonder how they differ from you. In this lesson, we'll explore the behaviors common to people with Asperger and other autism spectrum disorders.
6. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Definition of ADHD
This lesson explores common characteristics of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as well as the best practices for teaching learners with this disorder.
7. Advanced Cognitive Development and Renzulli's Triad
In this lesson, we will explore advanced cognitive development in terms of a gifted child. We will also define what it means to be gifted and Joseph Renzulli's model of giftedness.
8. Mood Disorders: Depression, Dysthymic Disorder & Bipolar Disorder
Does feeling sad automatically mean someone is depressed? Are there different kinds of depression? What are mood disorders? This lesson will take a look at the answers to those questions.
9. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) & Eating Disorders: Definition & Types
Many of us have something about our appearance that we'd like to change, but for some people these desires can develop into actual disorders. How are body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders related? This lesson gives you a closer look at these disorders and the impact they can have on people.
10. Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Phobias & Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
When do we cross the boundary between natural worry and the debilitating types of anxiety associated with disorders? In this lesson, you'll explore some common anxiety disorders and their potential causes.
11. Substance Abuse & Substance Dependence: Definition & Characteristics
Many people have a drink now and then, but how do you know if you have a substance-related disorder? This lesson will help you learn the difference between just having a drink and having an actual problem.
12. Developmental Abnormalities in Adults: Effects & Social Concerns
Developmental abnormalities in adults can have significant effects on the individual and an impact on society. In this lesson, examine examples and explore some of these issues.
13. Dementia and Alzheimer's: Differences & Impact on Aging
In this lesson, you will learn what dementia is and is not through definitions and examples. You will also examine Alzheimer's disease, the leading cause of dementia and memory loss in the elderly.
14. Chronic Illness & Physical Disabilities: Effects on Human Development
What are chronic illnesses and physical disabilities? How do these conditions impact both the individual and society? Learn the answers to these questions in this lesson and test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
15. Different Types of Mental Disabilities: Definitions & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of and differentiate between two types of mental disabilities: psychological disabilities and cognitive disabilities. Explore potential outcomes and examples, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
16. Vestigial Structures: Definition & Examples
Have you ever wondered why you get goose bumps? Or why you have an appendix? These are vestigial structures and link us to our ancestors from millions of years ago. This lesson will define vestigial structures, explain how it is evidence for evolution and will give examples.
17. Coping With Chronic Pain
Many people experience chronic pain. This type of pain can take both a physical and mental toll. In this lesson, we'll explore techniques for coping with chronic pain that will help keep you mentally healthy during such a difficult time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Human Growth and Development: Homework Help Resource course
- Theoretical Approaches to Human Development: Homework Help
- Homework Help for Human Growth & Development Research Methods
- Genetic Influences on Development: Homework Help
- Biological Development: Homework Help
- Sensory and Perceptual Development: Homework Help
- Cognition and Cognitive Development: Homework Help
- Creativity and Intelligence Development: Homework Help
- Language Development: Homework Help
- Social Development: Homework Help
- Social Relationship Development: Homework Help
- Basics of Personal Nutrition & Health Problems