About This Chapter
Atypical Development in Children and Adolescents - Chapter Summary
This chapter on atypical development in children and adolescents starts with a definition of abnormal development and moves on to provide concrete examples of such atypical behaviors. Lessons will then explain how developmental abnormalities can impact a child's learning. Mental and learning disabilities in young people are explored, with definitions and examples of specific types of problems.
Lessons will then examine the effects of physical illnesses and disabilities on human development and learning. The chapter closes with a lesson on social norms in infants, children and adults. Definitions and examples are provided for each stage in the human life. This chapter will cover some of the following topics:
- Definition of abnormal human development
- Examples of atypical human development
- Developmental abnormalities in children
- Types of mental disabilities and their effect on development
- Effects of chronic illness and physical disabilities on human development
- Social norms in infants, children and adults
These short, interactive video lessons are presented by knowledgeable instructors in the field. Each video comes with self-assessment quizzes and lesson transcripts that can provide you with more detailed information or study hints. Video tags are included, so you can more quickly navigate through your lessons. Key terms are also linked to other text lessons, so you can easily define important terms.
1. Abnormal Human Development: Definition & Examples
Abnormal development occurs when a person develops an unusual pattern of behavior, emotion or thought. In this lesson, you will learn what abnormal development is, how it is determined and examine different examples.
2. Classification & Diagnosis of Psychological Disorders
How do you diagnose something that you can't see? That's the problem faced by psychologists. This lesson will show you the tool they use to help diagnose their patients.
3. What Are Social Norms? Definition & Examples in Infants, Children & Adults
In this lesson, you will gain an understanding of social norms and define related terms. You will also examine the effects of social norms in infants, children, adolescents, and adults.
4. Developmental Abnormalities in Children: Effects & Impacts on Learning
Developmental abnormalities in children have an impact on their learning and social skills. Examine an example in this lesson that will help you learn about the importance of early intervention.
5. Chronic Illness & Physical Disabilities: Effects on Human Development
What are chronic illnesses and physical disabilities? How do these conditions impact both the individual and society? Learn the answers to these questions in this lesson and test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
6. Different Types of Mental Disabilities: Definitions & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of and differentiate between two types of mental disabilities: psychological disabilities and cognitive disabilities. Explore potential outcomes and examples, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE School Psychologist PK-12 (036): Test Practice & Study Guide course
- Introduction to Research Methods in Psychology
- Psychology Research & Design Analysis
- Clinical Assessment in Psychology
- Developmental Psychology in Young People
- Individual Differences in Children
- Student Learning and Motivation
- Cognitive Influences on Learning
- Creativity and Intelligence Development in Children and Adolescents
- Sensory, Perceptual & Language Development in Children and Adolescents
- Social Development in Children and Adolescents
- Classroom Teaching Strategies
- Biological, Social & Cultural Bases of Learning & Behavior
- Rules and Regulations in Education
- Evidence-Based Interventions
- FTCE School Psychologist PK-12 Flashcards