About This Chapter
Australian History - Chapter Summary
Our professional instructors introduce you to Australia's history and geography. You'll study Australia's physical features, political boundaries, location and cultural characteristics. Videos and texts introduce you to the issues associated with European exploration and colonization. This chapter helps you understand life in Australia before Europeans discovered it, so you can expect to look at aboriginal cultures and development. After reviewing the materials you should be able to:
- Describe Australia's climate, population distribution and natural resources
- Explain Australia's culture before colonization
- Understand the origins of Australia's aboriginal people
- Describe the use of prisoners as colonists
- Detail how Australians were impacted by the weapons and diseases the explorers brought with them
The videos and texts in this course employ entertaining graphics and images to make learning about Australia's history fun and easy. You'll watch lessons taught by subject experts and have the option to ask questions if you run into anything confusing or unclear. When you want to review a main point without re-watching an entire video, use the tags included in each lesson. Lesson transcripts are available and are useful tools for looking up key terms or concepts. Self-assessment quizzes follow each lesson, so you can check your knowledge of the material before continuing on to the next lesson or to the final chapter exam.
1. Overview of Australian Geography
Of the many adjectives that could be used to describe the geography of Australia, unique is certainly one of the most applicable. In this lesson, we'll learn why and introduce the amazing geography of Australia.
2. Early Aboriginal Culture in Australia
Australia's Aboriginal cultures may have some of the oldest continually practiced traditions in the world. In this lesson, we'll talk about the early cultures of Australia, and see what trends united them.
3. European Exploration & Colonization of Australia
In this lesson we will learn about the European exploration and colonization of Australia. We will highlight the central themes and developments associated with European involvement in the island continent of Australia.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Social Science (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- European Colonies in North America (1497-1732)
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The Making of a Nation after the American Revolution
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Jacksonian Democracy
- Buildup to the American Civil War
- The American Civil War
- After the Civil War: Reconstruction
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- American Imperialism & World War I
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- U.S. Involvement in World War ll (1941-1945)
- Post-World War ll America (1946-1959)
- The Cold War in America (1950-1973)
- Civil Rights & Other Movements in the US (1954-1973)
- America in the 1970s
- America in the 1980s
- Recent American History (1992-2013)
- The History of Georgia
- Introduction to Government
- Introduction to Economics
- The Judicial Branch of the U.S.
- The U.S.'s Legislative Branch
- Presidential Elections, Powers & Processes
- History of Political Parties in the U.S.
- Latin American History
- Canadian History
- European History: Geography, Colonization, WWI & Russia
- European History: The 1920s & 1930s
- European History: The Rise of Fascism
- European History: World War II
- European History: Post-War Europe
- European History: Cold War Europe
- European History: Integration in Europe after the Soviet Union
- Overview of African History
- Asian History
- GACE Middle Grades Social Science Flashcards