About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Bacterial Diseases of the Respiratory Tract chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Diphtheria||Corynebacterium diphtheria bacteria; treatments and symptoms|
|Tuesday||Pertussis||Whooping cough; caused by Bordetella pertussis|
|Wednesday||Legionnaires' disease||Symptoms, bacteria Legionella|
|Thursday||Tuberculosis and strep throat||Mycobacterium Tuberculosis and latency of tuberculosis; Streptococcus pyogenes|
|Friday||Bacterial meningitis and pneumonia||Types of bacteria that cause meningitis; common bacteria that cause pneumonia, including Streptococcus pneumonia, Haemophilus influenzae, Chlamydia trachomatis, Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Legionella pneumophila|
1. What Is Diphtheria? - Cause, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will discuss a bacterium known as Corynebacterium diphtheria, the disease diphtheria, exotoxins, endotoxins, A-B toxins, pseudomembranes, bull-necks, and more!
2. Pertussis: Cause & Symptoms of Whooping Cough
This lesson will describe Bordetella pertussis, whooping cough, the hundred days' cough, respiratory cilia, and the signs, symptoms, prevention, and treatment associated with pertussis.
3. Legionnaires' Disease: Cause, Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson discusses something known as Legionnaires' disease. We will talk about the bacterium responsible for this disease, how amoebae may be involved, the signs of this disease, and whether or not any treatment option exists for it.
4. Tuberculosis: Diagnosis, Treatments & Latency
This lesson will discuss the disease known as tuberculosis. We will talk about mycobacterium tuberculosis, latent TB, TB disease, mycolic acid, and the symptoms, signs, and treatments used for this terrible disease.
5. Strep Throat: Cause, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will discuss something we've almost all had: strep throat. We'll discuss beta-hemolysis, Streptococcus pyogenes, pharyngitis, halitosis, pus, and all sorts of other things pertaining to strep throat.
6. Bacterial Meningitis: Transmission, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will discuss something known as bacterial meningitis. We'll talk about the causes of this condition, ways by which you can get it, diagnosis and treatments strategies, as well as the symptoms and signs associated with bacterial meningitis.
7. Bacterial Pneumonia: Causes, Signs & Treatments
This lesson will discuss the causes of bacterial pneumonia. We'll also look into how bacterial pneumonia is diagnosed and treated as well as the common signs and symptoms associated with this condition.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Microbiology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Biology Review: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Microbiology Basics Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Cell Biology Lesson Plans
- Microbiology Laboratory Techniques Lesson Plans
- Microorganisms & the Environment Lesson Plans
- The Disease Process Lesson Plans
- Protozoan Diseases Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- DNA Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- RNA Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Fungal Infections: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Foodborne Illnesses & Bacterial Infections - Gastrointestinal Tract Lesson Plans
- Sexually Transmitted Bacterial Diseases: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Blood-borne Bacterial Diseases: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Immunology And the Body's Defenses Against Pathogens: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Antimicrobial Drugs: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Food and Industrial Microbiology: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Techniques: Microbiology Lesson Plans