About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Staph infection and flesh-eating bacteria||Causes, symptoms and treatment methods; Mention of Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pyogenes, Aeromonas hydrophila, Clostridium perfringens, necrotizing fasciitis and Bacteriodes fragilis|
|Tuesday||Anthrax and leprosy||Types, causes and treatments of anthrax; history, symptoms and treatments of leprosy|
|Wednesday||Tetanus||Discussion of symptoms, treatments and prevention practices; mention of tetanus and Clostridium tetani|
|Thursday||Gangrene||Explanation of bacterial types of gangrene and ways to treat them|
|Friday||Pseudomonas Aeruginosa||Causes, treatments, pigments and fluorescence|
1. What Is a Staph Infection? - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will discuss something known as a staph infection. We will delve into Staphylococcus aureus, MRSA, septic arthritis, toxic shock syndrome, and antibiotic resistance.
2. Flesh Eating Bacteria: Causes, Progression & Treatments
This lesson will discuss something commonly known as flesh eating bacteria. We'll cover some of the most common bacteria that are involved as well as terms such as fascia, necrosis, and necrotizing fasciitis.
3. Anthrax: Types, Transmission & Treatment
This lesson will dive into a very famous disease, called anthrax, that causes three main forms of disease: cutaneous, gastrointestinal, and pulmonary. We will also briefly discuss something known as an endospore.
4. What Is Leprosy? - History, Signs & Treatment
We will learn about a terrible and ancient condition known as leprosy. We'll discuss how it relates to Hansen's disease, Mycobacterium leprae, Mycobacterium lepromatosis, tuberculoid leprosy, and lepormatous leprosy.
5. Tetanus: Symptoms, Treatment & Prevention
In this lesson, we will discuss a well-known condition called tetanus. You will learn about the bacteria, toxins, and symptoms associated with this deadly disease.
6. Gangrene: Signs & Treatment
This lesson will discuss the three major types of gangrene. We will delve into gas gangrene, wet gangrene, and dry gangrene as well as the typical causes and signs associated with these different forms.
7. Pseudomonas Aeruginosa: The Fluorescent Bacteria
This lesson will teach you about Pseudomonas aeruginosa, a type of really cool bacteria that has lots of different colors and even a particular smell. We'll explore how this bacterial plays a role in nosocomial infections as well.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Microbiology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Biology Review: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Microbiology Basics Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Cell Biology Lesson Plans
- Microbiology Laboratory Techniques Lesson Plans
- Microorganisms & the Environment Lesson Plans
- The Disease Process Lesson Plans
- Protozoan Diseases Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- DNA Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- RNA Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Fungal Infections: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Foodborne Illnesses & Bacterial Infections - Gastrointestinal Tract Lesson Plans
- Sexually Transmitted Bacterial Diseases: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Blood-borne Bacterial Diseases: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Diseases of the Respiratory Tract: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Immunology And the Body's Defenses Against Pathogens: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Antimicrobial Drugs: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Food and Industrial Microbiology: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Techniques: Microbiology Lesson Plans