About This Chapter
Basic Algebraic Expressions & Factoring - Chapter Summary
Through these video lessons, you will review the basics of algebraic expressions and factoring. Let our instructors guide you through the vocabulary you need to know to work better with basic algebraic expressions. Easy-to-follow lessons will help you grasp the concepts of factoring.
This chapter will cover everything from interpreting to evaluating algebraic expressions. As you move through the chapter, you will review how to define factoring, detail the steps involved in factoring and check your own work once you've finished a factoring problem. When you've finished this chapter, you should be able to work with:
- Variables in algebra
- Relationships as algebraic expressions
- Simple algebraic expressions
- The commutative, associative and distributive properties
- Like terms in algebraic expressions
- Simplification and factoring
- Division for reducing fractions
- Steps for factoring by groups
You can study anywhere with this mobile-friendly chapter. The videos are short and easy to watch and allow you to learn at your own pace. To keep track of your progress, take advantage the dashboard feature. Take a quiz after each lesson to test your knowledge.
1. What is a Variable in Algebra?
Did you ever encounter something like a + b = c and wonder how all these letters snuck into a math problem? In this lesson, we'll learn about variables, as well as other parts of equations, constants and coefficients.
2. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
3. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
4. The Commutative and Associative Properties and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is important and useful, but a few mathematical properties highlight cases where order doesn't matter. In this lesson, we'll learn about the commutative and associative properties, which may save you time and effort.
5. The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is great. But sometimes we need to bend the rules to simplify an equation. Fortunately, the distributive property gives us a scenario in which this is okay. Learn all about it in this lesson.
6. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
7. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
8. What is Factoring in Algebra? - Definition & Example
Factoring with ordinary numbers involves knowing that 6 is the product of 2 and 3. But what about factoring in algebra? In this lesson, we'll learn the essential elements of algebra factoring.
9. Factoring Out Variables: Instructions & Examples
Let's find the factors. In this lesson, we'll learn how to factor out numbers or variables from an expression. We'll even learn how to factor variables with exponents.
10. Combining Numbers and Variables When Factoring
With an expression, you know how to factor out a number, and you know how to factor out a variable. In this lesson, we'll learn how to factor out combined numbers and variables.
11. Transforming Factoring Into A Division Problem
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can factor a problem by turning it into a division problem. Learn how this actually helps you to factor and keep your numbers straight.
12. Factoring By Grouping: Steps, Verification & Examples
How do you factor an expression if all the terms don't share a common factor? Grouping! In this lesson, we'll learn how to use grouping to help factor expressions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Middle Level Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Properties of Numbers
- Number Theory & Factoring
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Estimating & Rounding
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- Negative Numbers
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Absolute Value
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Integers
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Rational Numbers
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Inequalities
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Introduction to Fractions
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Introduction to Decimals
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Percents
- Working with Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- Practical Applications of Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- Introduction to Exponents
- Working with Exponential Expressions
- Understanding Square Roots & Radical Expressions
- Radical Expressions & Equations
- Imaginary & Complex Numbers
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Distribution
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Writing & Solving Two-Step Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Linear Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Systems of Linear Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Monomials & Polynomials
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Properties of Functions
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Graphing Functions
- Rate of Change Basics
- Notation, Sequences & Series
- 6th-8th Grade Measurement: Units of Measurement
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- Two-Dimensional Shapes
- Circle Geometry
- The Pythagorean Theorem & Trigonometry
- 6th-8th Grade Measurement: Perimeter & Area
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- Congruence & Similarity in Geometry
- 6th-8th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Transformations
- Modeling to Solve Problems
- Basic Probability
- Statistics & Sampling Basics
- MTLE Middle Level Mathematics Flashcards