About This Chapter
Basic Arithmetic Calculations - Chapter Summary
Let our knowledgeable and experienced instructors guide you through lessons on the various types of numbers, including natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, real numbers, rational and irrational numbers. In this chapter, you can practice performing the four basic math operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with whole numbers, positive numbers and negative numbers.
Lessons in this chapter will introduce you to terms used in basic calculations and give you examples of various arithmetic concepts. You'll also find out the most common uses for these calculations and concepts. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the different number classifications
- Name the four basic math operations and explain their uses
- Perform calculations with integers, or signed numbers
- Simplify math expressions using the order of operations
- Define 'factor'
- Find the greatest common factor
- Define 'multiple'
- Discover the least common multiple
These short, informative video lessons break down foundational mathematical concepts into bite-sized pieces. At the end of each lesson, you can complete a quick quiz to check your progress. If there are any topics that need more attention, just go back and re-watch a video, or use the video tags to get immediate access to certain portions of the video. Written transcripts are also available for each lesson. You can also make use of links that will take you to text lessons explaining many of the key terms being used.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Arithmetic with Whole Numbers
There are four basic mathematical operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These four operations are used in a wide range of everyday skills and are the fundamental blocks of arithmetic.
3. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
4. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
5. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
6. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
7. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Subject Test Mathematics Level 1: Practice and Study Guide course
- Rational Numbers
- Square Roots
- Decimals and Percents
- Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Algebra: Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities
- Algebra: Polynomials
- Understanding the Basics of Functions
- Algebra: Rational Expressions
- Mathematical Sequences
- Understanding Exponentials & Logarithms
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- Coordinate Geometry - Graphing
- Lines and Angles
- Properties of Triangles
- Properties of Circles
- Finding Perimeter, Area & Volume
- Solid Geometry
- Trigonometry Basics
- Understanding Probability & Statistics
- SAT Subject Test Mathematics Level 1 Flashcards