About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Basic Arithmetic in Algebra chapter into a 7-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Number line; binary operations||Definition of number line and uses with zero, positive and negative numbers; differences between binary and non-binary operations|
|Tuesday||Addition, subtraction and multiplication||Techniques and examples of how to perform whole number addition, subtraction and multiplication|
|Wednesday||Large number multiplication; division||Steps on how to multiply large figures, divide numbers and calculate long division equations|
|Thursday||Signed numbers; commutative property; associative property||Multiplying and dividing with signed numbers; meaning of commutative property and ways to reorder operations; associative property definition and using associate expressions|
|Friday||Multiplication property of zero; greatest common factor||Definition and examples of terms|
|Monday||Least common multiple; graphs; parentheses||Calculating the least common multiple; basic graphing terms, such as axis, ordered pair, intercepts, quadrants and origins; when and how parentheses are used in math|
|Tuesday||Vocabulary terms; order of operations||Fundamental algebra terms, such as coefficient, variables and constants; meaning and examples of the order of operations in math|
1. What Is a Number Line?
A number line is a visual representation of all real numbers. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify points on a number line. We'll also practice addition and subtraction, letting the number line do all the hard work.
2. Binary and Non-Binary Operations
Binary and non-binary are two terms that might really scare you, much like an operation may scare you. But don't worry, this lesson is super fun and super easy. You'll learn the definitions of these terms and see examples of each.
3. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
4. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
5. How to Multiply Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson you will be able to multiply any two numbers together. You will learn how to use your knowledge of multiplying smaller numbers together to multiply larger numbers with ease.
6. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
7. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
8. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
9. The Commutative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three major properties that deal with the addition and multiplication of numbers. One of those properties is the commutative property. This lesson will define and give examples of the commutative property and how it works.
10. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
11. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
12. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
13. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
14. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
15. Parentheses in Math: Rules & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how parentheses are used in math. Learn how to read them as multiplication and how they let you know which numbers to work with first.
16. Algebra Vocabulary Terms
Watch this video lesson to learn about some basic vocabulary words that you will come across again and again in the course of your studies in algebra. After you finish this video, you should know and be able to identify each term.
17. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
18. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
19. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
20. Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use sketches and notes to help you visualize a problem. Watch how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have visualized it.
21. Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding
When it comes to word problems, being able to personalize a word problem with more familiar situations will help you a lot in your problem solving. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can restate the word problem in terms you understand.
22. How to Perform Multiplication: Steps & Examples
Multiplication, one of the basic operations of math, is important not just in elementary math but also in higher math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can multiply with ease.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra I Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Decimals & Fractions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Percent Notation in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Real Numbers in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Exponents & Exponential Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Radical Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Algebraic Expressions & Equations Lesson Plans
- Properties of Functions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Matrices & Absolute Value in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Working with Inequalities in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Properties of Exponents in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Complex & Imaginary Numbers in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Algebraic Distribution Lesson Plans
- Linear Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Factoring in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Quadratic Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Polynomial Functions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Cubic Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Measurement & Geometry in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Lesson Plans for Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- Data, Statistics, & Probability Lesson Plans
- Well-Known Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans