About This Chapter
Basic Arithmetic Operations - Chapter Summary
If you would like to learn about the basic operations in arithmetic, you can go through this chapter and watch each of the online video lessons contained here. Each lesson is taught by an experienced instructor who will go over all of these topics comprehensively.
This chapter will provide in-depth explanations of basic mathematical principles you will need to know in order to perform the most basic mathematical tasks. You can then watch lessons that will go over the main operations in arithmetic, as well as some helpful examples that will enhance your understanding. Some topics you will learn about are:
- The different types of numbers
- The mathematical order of operations
- The steps and examples of addition
- Inequalities and signed numbers
- The steps and examples of subtraction and division
- Multiplying large numbers
Our videos contain tags that identify each moment in the lessons corresponding to the topic's main points. The chapter also offers you transcripts the videos for you to read at a time that is convenient to you. You can also take the chapter's lesson quizzes and final exam to ensure that you have understood the main points on this subject.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
3. The Order of Real Numbers: Inequalities
An inequality is an operation describing how one number can be compared to another. This lesson will describe and define inequalities and the symbols used to represent them. It will also give some examples on how to work with inequalities.
4. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
5. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
6. How to Perform Multiplication: Steps & Examples
Multiplication, one of the basic operations of math, is important not just in elementary math but also in higher math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can multiply with ease.
7. How to Multiply Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson you will be able to multiply any two numbers together. You will learn how to use your knowledge of multiplying smaller numbers together to multiply larger numbers with ease.
8. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
9. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
10. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PAX RN: Practice & Study Guide course
- Fundamentals of Reading Comprehension
- Learning & Using Vocabulary
- Essential Math Review
- Exponents, Polynomials & Quadratics
- Properties of Geometric Shapes & Angles
- Cell Biology Overview
- Anatomy & Physiology Overview
- Biology of Living Things
- Characteristics and Life Functions of Organisms
- Scientific Method & Reasoning
- Understanding Chemistry Basics
- Chemical Changes & Reactions
- Physics Concepts
- Speed, Acceleration & Momentum
- PAX RN Flashcards