About This Chapter
Basic Career Skills - Chapter Summary
This chapter on basic career skills contains short video lessons and quizzes you can access 24 hours a day. Topics covered include teamwork skills, soft and hard skills and effective workplace communication. After you complete these lessons, you should be ready to:
- Define teamwork skills in the workplace
- Outline the skills needed for independent thinking and leadership
- Explain the importance of interpersonal skills in the workplace
- Differentiate between soft and hard skills for customer service
- Discuss elements of effective communication in the workplace
- Identify the methods and techniques used in conflict resolution in the workplace
Use any smartphone, tablet or computer with an Internet connection to access this collection of helpful lessons and achieve your educational goals. Along with each lesson, we've included a short quiz you can use to make sure you're ready to move on or take an exam. Help from one of our experts is available through the Dashboard if you need it.
1. Teamwork Skills in the Workplace: Definition & Examples
In today's modern corporate world, developing teamwork skills in the workplace has become a necessity. In order to survive such a competitive environment, companies need to promote a workplace that emphasizes teamwork.
2. Independent Thinking and Leadership: Definition & Skills
Today, companies are looking for individuals who can think independently and have the necessary leadership qualities to help make their organization successful. Explore what leadership and independent thinking are and learn about some of the most common skills and attributes that accompany both.
3. Interpersonal Skills in the Workplace: Examples and Importance
The ability to communicate within an organization depends heavily upon people's interpersonal skills. These are the tools people use to interact and communicate with individuals in an organizational environment.
4. Important Soft Skills for Good Customer Service
This lesson focuses on the interpersonal, or soft, skills needed to provide great customer service. We'll spend some time discussing why these skills are important and how they can help you provide the best service possible.
5. Important Hard Skills for Customer Service
There are many different skills needed in customer service and having the right ones is essential. This lesson will define hard skills and discuss several examples.
6. Elements of Effective Communication in the Workplace
Effective communication is a necessity in the workplace. There are four elements of effective communication that help improve the two-way information sharing process. These four specific elements involve being concise and clear, practical, factual and persuasive.
7. What Is Conflict Resolution in the Workplace? - Skills, Techniques & Methods
Conflict resolution is important for all organizations. In this lesson, you will learn what conflict resolution is and some of its techniques and methods.
8. What Are Soft Skills? - Definition & Examples
During conversations with customers and co-workers, getting and receiving messages from one another is essential to resolving concerns and in general getting things done. Understanding what soft skills are and how to use them is key.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Family & Consumer Sciences (072): Study Guide & Practice course
- Health & Wellness
- Sources & Functions of Nutrients
- Nutrition Needs Across the Lifespan
- Health & Fitness Across the Lifespan
- Meal Planning
- Overview of Food Preparation
- Food Safety & Storage
- Food Production, Consumption & Distribution
- Food Service Careers
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- The Development of Adults
- Sexual Development
- Factors Impacting Human Development & Needs
- Developmental Milestones & Abnormalities
- The Process of Human Aging
- Family Characteristics & Dynamics
- Family Crisis, Transitions & Conflict
- Parenting Process
- Methods of Birth Control
- Basics of Preparing for Parenthood
- Pregnancy & Childbirth
- Family Resources
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- Economics & Consumer Rights
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- Career Planning & Employment
- Instruction & Learning Goals
- NYSTCE Family & Consumer Sciences (072) Flashcards