About This Chapter
Basic Components of Living Things - Chapter Summary
For clear and comprehensive overviews of the parts of living organisms, look no further than the online video lessons you can find contained in this chapter. Watch these lessons for point-by-point instruction on each of the major parts of an organism.
Each lesson will go over the characteristics of different components of organisms, as well as their main biological functions. You will conclude the chapter with a more comprehensive picture of the specific characteristics of living organisms and how their various parts work together. Included in this chapter are lessons on:
- The structure and function of cells
- The types of tissues and their explanations
- The definition and pictures of organ systems
- Biological organization: function and structure
- The shared traits and characteristics of living things
The lesson transcripts will allow you to study each of these topics in an offline format as well. The lesson quizzes and final chapter exam will help you ensure that you can accurately recall the most significant points on this subject. You can also track your learning progress by using your personal Dashboard.
1. The Cell: Structure & Function
The cell is a small, but complex structure. Take a look inside the outer plasma membrane of a cell and discover the functions of some common cellular components, including the nucleus, endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi apparatus and mitochondria, in this lesson.
2. What Are Tissues? - Types & Explanation
Learn about the different tissues that are found in humans and plants. This lesson summarizes the four tissue types in humans and the three tissue systems of plants.
3. What Is an Organ System? - Definition & Pictures
In this lesson, you will learn what an organ system is, and you will review each organ system in the human body. This will aid in your study of human anatomy and physiology. At the end of the lesson, a quiz will test your knowledge.
4. Structure & Function in Biological Organization: Benefits & Disadvantages
This lesson will discuss biological organization in terms of cells, tissues, organs, and organ systems. It will also discuss the benefits and disadvantages of multicellular versus single-celled organisms.
5. Characteristics of Living Things
Have you ever wondered what makes something alive? Learn more about the characteristics that classify something as living. These shared traits can be observed in all living things in the world around us.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects (5001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Phonics Education
- Fluency in Education
- Speaking & Listening
- Words, Phrases & Language
- Elements of Literary Texts
- Informational Texts & Text Complexity
- Overview of Writing Types
- Characteristics of Effective Writing
- Writing Development & Digital Tools
- English Grammar & Grammatical Errors
- Writing Research & Citation
- World Exploration & Colonization
- Road to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution
- Major Events in U.S. History
- 20th Century Developments in the U.S.
- Overview of Government Systems
- Basic Economics
- Historical Documents of the United States
- Principles of American Democracy
- Basics of Human Geography
- Major Contributions of Classical Societies
- 20th Century Developments in World History
- The History of the European Union
- Interpreting History from Different Perspectives
- Place Value System
- Rational Number Operations & Properties
- Representing Rational Numbers & Operations
- Proportional Relationships & Percents
- Number Theory & Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Mathematical Patterns
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2D & 3D Shapes
- Finding Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Coordinate Plane
- Solving Real World Math Problems
- Statistical Concepts
- Measurement and the Metric System
- Data Display Methods
- Circle, Bar & Line Graphs
- Probability Concepts
- Scientific Thinking & Research
- Structure of Matter
- Basics of Forces & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Interactions of Energy & Matter
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Earth & the Solar System
- Earth Patterns, Cycles & Change
- Change in Living Things
- Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Personal Nutrition & Health Problems
- Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Flashcards