About This Chapter
Basic Computer Software for Nursing Informatics - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive chapter breaks down the use of basic computer software in nursing informatics. As you work through this collection of short and simple lessons, you'll evaluate the functions and purposes of various types of software, including enterprise, systems, application, word processing, presentation, database and communication software. Take the accompanying lesson quizzes and chapter exam to solidify your understanding of key software terms and concepts. You can access the chapter at any time, and our expert instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. Studying this chapter can help you:
- Assess the components and role of computer software in healthcare
- Describe enterprise software, application software and systems software
- Compare desktop publishing and word processing software
- Recognize common graphic suite and presentation software types
- Differentiate between various types of database and spreadsheet software
- Identify common types of communication software
- Understand the use of multimedia software for video and audio
- Explain why business teams use workgroup application software
- Evaluate the use of firewalls, biometrics, encryption and passwords in systems security
1. Computer Software in Healthcare: Components & Role
This lesson will guide you through the major options for computer software in healthcare. The discussion includes components and roles for some of the higher functioning software available.
2. Enterprise Software for Business Applications
Enterprise software gives multiple users in different locations access to the same functionality. This central system ensures that information is shared across all functional areas and levels of management within an organization.
3. Systems Software: Utility Software, Device Drivers and Firmware
System software coordinates the activities and functions of hardware and software, and it controls the operations of computer hardware. Learn about different types of system software, including utility software, device drivers and firmware.
4. What is Application Software? - Definition, Examples & Types
What is computer application software, and how does it differ from other categories of software? This lesson introduces you to some examples of application software and how they are used.
5. Desktop Publishing & Word Processing Software: MS Word, InDesign & WordPerfect
Word processing software is used to manipulate text and apply a basic design to your pages. More sophisticated design can be accomplished using desktop publishing software. Learn about the functionality of these two types of application software.
6. Presentation Software & Graphic Suites: Purpose & Examples
To make an impact on your audience, you not only need a strong message, you also need strong visuals. Learn how presentation and illustration software helps you make an impact when showing your work.
7. Database and Spreadsheet Software: Excel, Access, dBase & Lotus 1-2-3
Spreadsheet software and database software are both used to organize and manipulate data. Each application has its own unique strengths. Learn about the functionality of both types of software.
8. Communication Software: Purpose & Examples
You use communication software every day, from E-mail to texting. In this lesson, we'll review the purpose of communication software and provide examples of its use in modern systems.
9. Multimedia Software: Working with Audio and Video
Audio and video have become increasingly important in today's computer systems. Learn about how media players play back multimedia files as well as audio and video editing software to create your own productions.
10. Workgroup Application Software for Business Teams
Many activities in organizations are carried out by workgroups. Learn about specialized workgroup software that makes it easier for members to communicate and collaborate more effectively in this video lesson.
11. Systems Security: Firewalls, Encryption, Passwords & Biometrics
Computer systems face a number of security threats. Learn about different approaches to system security, including firewalls, data encryption, passwords and biometrics.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Nursing 301: Nursing Informatics course
- Informatics & Information Systems in Healthcare
- Computer Hardware for Nursing Informatics
- Online Connectivity & Security for Nursing Informatics
- Data Standards in Healthcare
- Patient-Centered Information Technology
- Nursing & Educational Informatics
- Informatics Literacy & Challenges in Nursing
- The Future of Nursing Informatics
- Required Assignments for Nursing 301
- Studying for Nursing 301