About This Chapter
Basic Concepts of Earth & Space - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll be able to brush up on your understanding of the fundamental principles of Earth sciences. Our instructors will show you about Earth's shape and the natural forces that can alter it. You'll look at the seasons and where they occur, and find out about time geography. Another lesson explores the components of our solar system. After watching these videos, you should be able to:
- Explain latitude, longitude and elevation
- Describe how density, gravity and stress affect the earth's shape
- Tell about the internal and external forces that shape the earth
- Define the geography of the four seasons
- Understand Torsten Hagerstrand's studies of time geography
- Outline the basic structure of the solar system
These lessons all include short quizzes that let you assess your knowledge and see where you require additional study. You can watch these lessons and take the quizzes on a computer or mobile device as your schedule permits.
1. Geographic Coordinates: Latitude, Longitude & Elevation
This lesson will seek to explain the geographic coordinate system. In doing so, it will explain latitude and longitude. It will also highlight the equator, the prime meridian, and the concept of elevation.
2. Shape of the Earth: Density, Stress & Gravity
This lesson will seek to explain geodesy and the Earth's shape. In doing so, it will highlight the concepts of gravity, density, and stress, as well as the role they play in the field of geodesy.
3. The Dynamic Earth: Internal & External Forces that Shape Earth's Surface
There are many geologic processes that shape the surface of the Earth. Not only do they build and destroy a variety of landscapes, but they also give us clues to the interior of the Earth and the forces that exist there.
4. Geography of the Four Seasons
This lesson will explain how the earth's axis and rotation affect seasons. In doing this, it will also highlight the concept of the summer and winter solstices, as well as how seasons vary around the globe.
5. Time Geography: Torsten Hagerstrand's Works
This lesson will explain time geography and the works of Torsten Hagerstrand. In doing so, it will highlight the effect of past decisions as well as capability, coupling, and authority constraints.
6. Solar System Overview
This lesson will go over the major aspects of our solar system, including the sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Early Childhood Education (AZ036): Practice & Study Guide course
- Child Growth & Development
- Developmental Learning Theories
- Health & Safety for Young Children
- Promoting Learning & Development
- Positive Learning Environments for Young Children
- Curriculum Planning & Classroom Strategies
- Early Childhood Language Development
- Developing Literacy in Children
- Reading Development & Teaching Strategies
- Early Childhood Writing Instruction
- Foundations of Teaching Math
- Basic Elements of Mathematics
- Measurement & Geometry Skills
- Foundations of Teaching Science
- Physical Science Terms & Properties
- Living Organisms & Ecosystems
- Concepts & Tools in Geography
- Studying & Comparing Cultures
- Overview of American History
- Civics & Economics in America
- Learning Through the Arts
- AEPA Early Childhood Education Flashcards