About This Chapter
Basic Earth Science Concepts - Chapter Summary
Review this chapter at any time to refresh your understanding of basic earth science concepts. After defining the study of earth science, you'll break down essential earth science vocabulary terms and concepts, as well as the scientific method. Each lesson comes with a short self-assessment quiz to help you memorize key terms. The chapter concludes with a comprehensive exam, and our instructors are available to answer your questions. You can access the chapter material at any time that fits your schedule using any computer or mobile device. Studying this chapter can help you:
- Explain earth science fundamentals
- Understand essential science concepts and vocabulary
- Outline the steps of the scientific method
1. What is Earth Science?
Earth science is a field that includes geology, astronomy, meteorology, and oceanography. Scientists do research in these fields to discover past and future events. Learn about the dynamic field of earth science and how it affects our lives in this lesson.
2. Science Vocabulary & Concepts: Study Skills & Word Parts
Learning science presents a unique set of challenges for students. In this lesson, learn the tricks of the trade as we discuss scientific vocabulary and other science study skills.
3. The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
The scientific method is more than just hypotheses and experiments. In this lesson, we'll explore the themes and variations that make up the world of science.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Earth Science: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Understanding Earth's History
- Understanding Geologic Time
- The Properties of Matter
- Overview of Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- The Lithosphere
- Overview of Minerals & Rocks
- Igneous Rocks Basics
- Weathering, Erosion & Wasting
- Sedimentary & Metamorphic Rocks
- Geological Forms
- Water Balance
- Understanding Running Water
- Overview of Groundwater Systems
- Life Cycle of Glaciers
- Properties of Oceans
- Basics of Coastal Hazards
- The Atmosphere
- Weather and Storms
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Understanding Energy Resources
- UExcel Earth Science Flashcards