About This Chapter
Basic Elements of Mathematics - Chapter Summary
Understanding the basic elements of math is vital before moving on to more advanced problems in the subject. If your mathematics skills are a little rusty, this chapter's video lessons can help refresh your memory of elements such as the correct setup for solving arithmetic expressions, the steps to solve word problems, how to restate word problems using words and images, and more. The lessons will also make sure you are prepared to:
- Outline ways to teach algebra and geometry concepts in early childhood
- List basic algebra rules
- Evaluate simple algebraic expressions
- Combine like terms in algebraic expressions
- Simplify algebraic expressions
- Define a pattern in math
- Discuss how to teach data analysis concepts to young children
With our video lessons, you can strengthen your math knowledge and skills wherever you have access to a computer or mobile device. Professional instructors use numerous examples and sample problems to help you grasp the material in this chapter. We provide lesson transcripts and self-assessment lesson quizzes, as well, to enhance your study sessions.
1. Teaching Algebra & Geometry Concepts in Early Childhood
Teaching algebra and geometry can be a fun and exciting experience at the elementary level. This lesson covers the strategies, methods, and daily schedule to teach young students these math concepts.
2. Basic Algebra: Rules, Equations & Examples
Algebra is the foundation for all higher levels of math. In order to understand any mathematical field, you need to be able to speak algebra, which involves things like solving an equation, isolating the variable, and simplifying the expression.
3. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
4. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
5. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
6. What is a Pattern in Math? - Definition & Rules
Some people say that doing the same thing over and over again will not get you results, but this lesson will teach you about mathematical patterns and show you how to prove those people wrong.
7. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
8. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
9. Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use sketches and notes to help you visualize a problem. Watch how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have visualized it.
10. Teaching Data Analysis Concepts in Early Childhood
Young children are able to understand and analyze data, and they can even get excited about what data will teach them. This lesson gives you many ideas about how you can teach data analysis concepts in early childhood.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Early Childhood Education (AZ036): Practice & Study Guide course
- Child Growth & Development
- Factors Affecting Early Childhood Development
- Overview of Children's Exceptional Learning Needs
- Fostering Child Learning & Development
- Positive Learning Environments for Young Children
- Curriculum Planning & Classroom Strategies
- Early Childhood Language Development
- Supporting English Language Learners in Schools
- Developing Literacy in Children
- Literacy Teaching Fundamentals
- Literacy Teaching Strategies
- Teaching Foundational Writing Skills
- Foundations of Teaching Math
- Measurement & Geometry Skills
- Mathematics Instructional Strategies for Elementary Students
- Fundamental Scientific Concepts for the Classroom
- Teaching Foundational Science Concepts to Elementary Students
- Basic Social Studies Concepts for the Classroom
- Early Childhood Social Studies Instruction
- Learning Through the Arts
- AEPA Early Childhood Education Flashcards