About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering basic French spelling and pronunciation material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn basic French spelling and pronunciation. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the French alphabet and how to pronounce the vowel and consonant combinations
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning language (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about basic French spelling and pronunciation
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra language learning resources
How It Works:
- Find lessons in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Watch the video or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the transcripts or specific lesson sections to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Basic French Spelling and Pronunciation chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the basic French spelling and pronunciation chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any basic French spelling and pronunciation question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos and read text lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a basic French spelling and pronunciation unit of a standard Basic French course. Topics covered include:
- Pronouncing sounds and the French alphabet
- Rules for spelling in French
- Accent marks used in the French language
- Vowel pronunciation in French
1. French Alphabet & Pronunciation
In this lesson, we'll learn how to pronounce the French alphabet, as well as discuss differences and similarities between the French and English alphabets. We will also talk about the accents in French that are used to change the sounds of letters or the meanings of words.
2. French Spelling Rules
French spelling is notorious for using many letters that often aren't even pronounced at all! This lesson will introduce you to why this is the case through a brief history of French spelling, and then teach you how to move from the written word to spoken language through a series of helpful tips
3. French Accent Marks
For many students, accents are the most intimidating part of French. However, this lesson will have you confidently using every accent mark in just a matter of minutes.
4. French Vowels
If you are going to speak a language with any hope of sounding like a native, you're going to want to make sure you pronounce vowels properly. This lesson will help you best pronounce French vowels.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic French: Help & Review course
- Basic French Vocabulary
- French Sentence Structure
- French Nouns & Pronouns
- Basic French Verbs
- French Verb Tenses & Conjugation
- French Adjectives & Adverbs
- French Expressions
- Places in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Animals in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Jobs in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Writing in French
- Food in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Culture in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- The Home in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Sports & Activities in French: Vocabulary & Phrases