About This Chapter
Basic Genetics Concepts - Chapter Summary
As you go through these lessons on basic genetics, you will have an opportunity to review mutations and the properties of alleles. You can also gain an understanding of Mendel's discovery concerning genetics. By the end of the chapter, you should be ready to:
- Discuss the function and structure of chromosomes
- Describe how chromatin structure is regulated
- Explain how genes determine your appearance
- Provide examples of monohybrid cross and dihybrid cross
- Discuss the work of Gregor Mendel
- Recall complex chromosomal processes
- Explain sex-linked inheritance
These engaging lessons can help you easily understand the concepts presented. You can review all the lessons in order, or just review the topics you need to review. A brief quiz is available for each lesson to test your understanding.
1. What Are Chromosomes? - Definition, Function, Types & Structure
In this lesson, you'll find out why primates look so human while learning about the different types of chromosomes and how they work. You'll also get a chance to see what a chromosome looks like and discover how many genes are found in the human body.
2. Chromatin Structure: Regulation & Modifications
While your DNA consists of many, many genes, each cell only expresses a few specific ones at a time. Mechanisms are in place to regulate which genes are turned on or off in each cell, as well as whether those instructions should be passed on to new cells.
3. What Are Genes? - Definition, Types & Function
It's in the genes. Height, sense of humor, or athletic skill are all traits we've heard as being in the genes. But what are genes really, and how do they influence who we are, what we look like, and how we function?
4. Properties of Alleles
What is a dominant phenotype and how will it affect Adrian's flying hamster research? Tune in as he studies homozygous and heterozygous genotypes and the phenotypes they produce.
5. Mutations: When DNA Is Copied Wrong
In this lesson, we will learn how mutations, or errors in DNA, come about, what kinds of effects they may have, and how they can impact populations as a whole.
6. Monohybrid Cross: Definition & Example
Some genetic characteristics are inherited in predictable patterns. In this lesson you will learn what monohybrids are and how to predict the kinds of characteristics that their offspring will show.
7. Dihybrid Cross: Definition & Example
In this lesson, learn what a dihybrid cross is and see an example. Also, find out about phenotypic ratio and how it's the same for each dihybrid cross. After the lesson, test your knowledge with a quiz.
8. Gregor Mendel & Genetics: Experiments, Laws & Discovery
Gregor Mendel is currently known as the Father of Modern Genetics. This lesson goes through a brief history of his life, workings as a scientist, and his findings.
9. Sex Determination, X-Inactivation, and Barr Bodies
Sex determination, X-inactivation and Barr bodies are complex chromosomal processes. Learn more about each of these processes and test your knowledge with a quiz.
10. The Influence of Sex-Linked and Polygenic Inheritance on Development
What is sex-linked inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? What does it mean if a trait is polygenic? Learn the answers to these questions as this lesson explores this area of genetic inheritance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Cell Structure Overview
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Plant & Animal Biotechnology
- The Five Kingdoms of Living Organisms
- Plant Absorption & Transpiration
- Plant Respiration & Gas Exchange
- Plant Photosynthesis Processes
- Structure & Function of Flowering Plants
- Plant Pollination & Fertilization
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Macromolecules in Nutrition
- Digestive System Structure & Function
- Skeletal System Overview
- Structure & Function of Skin
- Respiratory System Overview
- Circulatory System Structure & Function
- Excretory System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- Endocrine System Overview
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
- Pathogenic Diseases in India
- Biotic & Abiotic Factors
- Population Growth & Control in India
- Types & Impact of Pollution
- Waste Generation & Management
- ICSE Biology Flashcards