About This Chapter
Basic Genetics - Chapter Summary
If you need a quick refresher on the details about basic genetics, this chapter is the resource you need. Not only do the lessons provide an overview of key details, such as DNA and RNA, but the they also help you get reacquainted with related biological concepts associated with genetics. As you go through these lessons, you will have the chance to review the following:
- Chromosome structures
- Distinguishing alleles from genes
- Definitions of dominant and recessive traits
- Examples of genotypes and phenotypes
- An overview tutorial of human genetics pedigree analysis
- Applications of Punnett squares
One of the benefits you get by using our study materials includes the absolute convenience we offer. After all, we want you to do well on your upcoming exams, so we want to give you access to this information in a way that works for your busy life. That's why everything we offer - video lessons, articles, assessment tools, and more - all of it is online. That means you can use practically any Internet-ready device to study from all Wi-Fi hotspots.
Another added convenience is the fact that we respect your time. We know that you probably don't have huge blocks of time available to study on a regular basis, so instead, we break up each of our chapters into small, manageable lessons. In fact, most lessons can be completed in around 10 minutes or so. If you want to work through lessons back to back, you have the option, but if you only have short breaks scattered throughout your day, our smaller lessons will help you make significant progress in the time you have available.
1. What is DNA?
In this lesson, we will learn what DNA is, what its characteristics and functions are, even where it is located and what information it contains. We'll also learn how the double helix is created. Find out more.
2. What is RNA? - Overview
This lesson explains the basic structure of RNA (ribonucleic acid). It also discusses the various components that come together in the formation of RNA and provides information about two of the most known forms of RNA. A short quiz will follow.
3. How is DNA Organized into Chromosomes? - Structure & Function
Explore the structure of chromosomes and see how DNA fits inside the nucleus of the cell. In this lesson, you'll learn about histones, chromatin and nucleosomes.
4. Difference Between Genes & Alleles
Genes are passed from parent to child. Each parent provides one variation of the gene, called an allele, to the child. This lesson will discuss how genetic information is inherited and how it is expressed.
5. Dominant Trait: Definition & Example
Can you roll the edges of your tongue towards the center? Do you have detached earlobes that hang free? Are your eyes brown? If you answered yes to any one of these, then you have a dominant trait. Learn what dominant traits are in this lesson.
6. Recessive Trait: Definition & Example
Can you bend your thumb backwards like a hitch-hiker? Do you have small, attached earlobes? Are your eyes blue? If you answered yes to any one of these, then you have a recessive trait. Learn what recessive traits are in this lesson.
7. What are Genotypes? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about what genotypes are, where they come from and how they play a major role in determining how your body works and what you look like.
8. What Is a Phenotype? - Definition & Example
Do you have blue eyes or brown eyes, or something else, like hazel? That's your phenotype for eye color. Discover examples of phenotypes, and how they are (partly) determined by your genes.
9. Pedigree Analysis in Human Genetics: Tutorial
One of the oldest genetic techniques is pedigree analysis, and yet it is still used every day all around the world by doctors, geneticists, and genetic counselors. Building and reading a pedigree is actually fairly easy if you know what the symbols mean. In fact, it's so easy that you can learn how to do it in less than ten minutes if you watch this video!
10. Punnett Square: Definition & Example
This lesson will define what a Punnett square is and show several examples of how one can be used. It will also briefly describe patterns of inheritance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards