About This Chapter
Basic Geometry Calculations - Chapter Summary
Our experienced instructors developed this chapter to make learning basic geometry calculations simple and enjoyable. The video lessons cover topics like the formulas for perimeter and area. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Find solutions to geometry problems about volume
- Discuss the area and circumference of circles
- Solve real-world geometry problems involving area and perimeter
In this chapter, we've included a variety of resources you can use to study basic geometry. Use the video timelines to quickly navigate to the topics you need to review. Studying offline is easy when you use our printable lesson transcripts. If you get stuck, feel free to contact our subject matter experts for help.
1. What is Area in Math? - Definition & Formula
Area is the size of a two-dimensional surface. This lesson will define area, give some of the most common formulas, and give examples of those formulas. A quiz at the end of the lesson will allow you to work out some area problems on your own.
2. Area: Real-World Geometry Problems
View this lesson to see how you can use geometric area in real-world situations, like mowing the lawn or picking out which carpet installer you should hire. A quick area review and quiz are also included.
3. What is Perimeter? - Definition & Formula
In mathematics, the perimeter is the distance around a two-dimensional shape. The formula for finding the perimeter of certain shapes will be discussed in this lesson, and there will be some examples to help you understand how to calculate the perimeter.
4. Perimeter: Real-World Geometry Problems
Watch this lesson to get some practice using perimeter in real-world situations. If you like baking brownies, you'll be able to use the math here to make your creations even more delicious!
5. How to Calculate the Volumes of Basic Shapes
Squares pegs = square holes. Triangular pegs = triangular holes. But where does a sphere go? In this lesson, review volumes of common shapes while contrasting a sphere and a cylinder - after all, they both go into the circular hole... right?
6. Volume: Real-World Geometry Problems
Volume isn't just a concept you use in textbooks! It's all around you in the real world. In this lesson, you'll work through two examples of real-world geometry problems and then get some more practice with a quiz.
7. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Study Guide course
- Computation with Integers
- Negative Numbers
- Absolute Value
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Proportions, Ratios & Averages
- Simplifying Algebraic Fractions
- Rational Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Overview of Inequalities
- Systems of Equations & Inequalities
- Algebraic Word Problems
- Fundamental Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Distribution
- Writing Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- Writing & Solving Multi-Step Equations
- Probability, Chance & Fundamental Counting Techniques
- Interpreting Visual Displays of Data
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Coordinate & Transformational Geometry
- Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Flashcards