About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering similar figures material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about similar figures. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding similar figures, ratio and proportion
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about similar figures
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Basic Geometry: Similar Figures chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Basic Geometry: Similar Figures chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any similar figures question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a similar figures unit of a standard basic geometry course. Topics covered include:
- Defining the relationship between ratios and proportions
- How to use proportions to find missing sides
- Learning what makes two polygons similar to each other
- How to solve real world problems with similar triangles
1. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
2. Solving Problems Involving Proportions: Definition and Examples
Learn how you can use proportions to find missing sides and how to increase or decrease the sizes of objects to create models of them in this video lesson.
3. Similar Polygons: Definition and Examples
Watch this video to learn what makes two polygons similar to each other. You'll also learn the one distinguishing aspect of similar polygons and see an example of how to compare two polygons.
4. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
5. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
6. Constructing Similar Polygons
This lesson will teach you how to construct similar polygons, which are very useful in many quantitative fields. You'll learn that all of this has something to do with, of all things, snowflakes!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic Geometry: Help & Review course
- Introduction to Basic Geometry
- Geometry Topics
- Basic Geometry: Lines & Angles
- Basic Geometry: Polygons
- Basic Geometry: Triangles
- Basic Geometry: Quadrilaterals
- Basic Geometry: Circles
- Basic Geometric Constructions
- Basic Geometry: Perimeter, Circumference & Area
- Basic Geometry: 3-Dimensional Figures
- Lines and Angles in Geometry
- Perimeter, Area & Volume
- Geometric Properties of Objects
- Geometric Graphing Basics
- Geometric Graphing Functions