About This Chapter
Basic Grammar & Mechanics - Chapter Summary
Rediscover ways for determining types of sentences and other concepts under basic grammar and mechanics with this chapter of video lessons. See examples of the 4 main types of sentences are review the end punctuation used with each one. You can also study the following:
- Purpose of descriptive linguistics
- Definition and examples of the 8 parts of speech
- Kinds of sentences, including simple and compound
- The process for identifying types of sentences
Evaluate your understanding of the lessons by taking the brief quizzes at the end of them. Each lesson was prepared by one of our expert instructors. You can contact the instructors with any questions you have about the chapter.
1. Developing Language Skills at the Word, Sentence & Discourse Levels
Your language learners can only develop their communicative skills if you guide them through the word, sentence, and discourse levels. This lesson discusses how you can work with your students throughout each of these levels.
2. Regional & Dialectical Variations of Standard English
The English language is complex, with multiple regional and dialectical variations. In this lesson, we examine the different variations of the English language in the United Kingdom and the United States.
3. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
4. What Is Descriptive Linguistics? - Purpose & Process
This lesson will seek to explain the field of descriptive linguistics. In doing so, it will highlight the terms phonology, morphology, and syntax while discussing examples from around the globe.
5. What Are the 8 Parts of Speech? - Definition & Examples
If you can't tell the difference between a noun and a hole in the ground, that's because there isn't one! Come learn more about these and the seven other parts of speech and their functions in this lesson.
6. Types of Sentences: Simple, Compound & Complex
Sentences can be categorized as simple, compound, and complex. In this lesson, you'll learn about all three, break down example sentences, and test yourself at the end with a short quiz.
7. Identifying Types of Sentences
Our language has four types of sentences. Watch this video lesson to not only learn the four types but also to discover the tricks to identifying types of sentences.
8. What is Punctuation? - Rules & Signs
In this lesson, we'll find out what punctuation is. We'll then learn some rules for using the most common punctuation marks as well as review sample sentences utilizing the punctuation rules.
9. Capitalization Rules in Writing
Capitalization is a very important concept in standard grammar in the written form of the English language. Watch this video lesson to learn what capitalization is and when to use it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL General Curriculum (03): Practice & Study Guide course
- History of the English Language
- Teaching Literature & Literary Analysis
- Literary Genres
- Literary Elements & Concepts
- Children's Literature Genres & Characteristics
- The Writing Process
- Writing Styles & Techniques
- Paleolithic Era to the Agricultural Revolution
- Early Civilizations & the Rise of Western Imperialism
- Modern World History Overview
- The Start of the United States
- American History 1800 to 1900
- American History 1900 to 1950
- American History 1950 to Present Day
- US & Massachusetts Government
- Fundamentals of Economics & Capitalism
- Geography & Human Settlements
- Principles of Life Sciences
- Principles of Physical Science
- Earth & Space Science
- Foundations of Scientific Thought
- Scientific Inquiry & Experimentation
- The Number System
- Fractions, Decimals & Percents Overview
- Factoring & Divisibility Rules
- Number Operations
- Basic Algebraic Concepts & Practice
- Introduction to Functions & Graphs
- Understanding & Solving Linear Functions
- Concepts of Measurement
- Geometric Shapes & Principles
- Understanding Descriptive Statistics
- Understanding Probability
- MTEL General Curriculum Flashcards