About This Chapter
Basic Number Properties - Chapter Summary
Review this self-paced chapter whenever you need to improve your understanding of basic number properties. Our expert math instructors will help you define and understand four basic number properties using an entertaining and simple teaching style. Reviewing this chapter will help you:
- Recognize examples of the associative property
- Explain the commutative property
- Use the distributive property correctly
- Define the multiplication property of zero
Be sure to take the interactive lesson quizzes and chapter exam. The chapter is available to study at any time, and you can access it using any device that has an Internet connection. Print the lesson transcripts if you want to study offline, and reach out to our instructors if you have any questions about number properties.
1. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
2. The Commutative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three major properties that deal with the addition and multiplication of numbers. One of those properties is the commutative property. This lesson will define and give examples of the commutative property and how it works.
3. Distributive Property: Definition, Use & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the distributive property and apply it to various types of problems. You will also be able to accurately perform the mathematical operations that are involved with the distributive property.
4. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEE Middle Level: Practice & Study Guide course
- Verbal Reasoning & Sentence Completion
- Reading Strategy Fundamentals
- Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- Interpreting Narrative Texts
- Writing & Proofreading a Timed Essay
- Basic Operations with Integers
- Number Theory & Factoring
- Decimal Basics
- Basics of Working with Fractions
- Basics of Working with Percentages
- Basic Concepts of Algebra
- Basic Geometry & Transformations
- Measuring Two- & Three-Dimensional Figures
- Basic Data Analysis & Probability
- ISEE Middle Level Flashcards