About This Chapter
Basic Number Sense and Operations - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Numbers are constantly used to provide important information about every day things. Created by our subject-matter experts, the lessons in this chapter instruct on basic number sense and operations, so you will better understand strategies for working with numbers. Lessons are accompanied by a quiz that can be taken to test your understanding of the lesson material. If you need to review any of the lessons, use the video transcript or use the keyword-based timeline tool to go right to the spot you want to revisit in the video. When you complete this chapter, you will be skilled at:
- Recognizing the different types of numbers
- Finding absolute value, additive inverse and multiplicative inverse of a number
- Solving problems using fractions, mixed numbers and decimal numbers
- Changing between decimals and percents and between decimals and fractions
- Simplifying expressions using the order of operations in math
- Understanding bar graphs and pie charts and interpreting graphical representations
|What are the Different Types of Numbers?||Learn all the different types of numbers.|
|Identifying Prime & Composite Numbers||Discuss how to recognize prime and composite numbers.|
|Finding the Absolute Value of a Real Number||Study how to find the absolute value of any real number.|
|Additive Inverse Property: Definition & Examples||Examine finding the additive inverse of a given number.|
|Multiplicative Inverse: Definition, Property & Examples||Get familiar with the multiplicative inverse and its properties.|
|What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples||Take a look at what a percent is.|
|Solve Problems using Percents||Figure out how to solve problems using percents.|
|Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers||Work out how to solve problems using fractions.|
|Solving Problems using Decimal Numbers||Discover how to use decimals in problem solving.|
|Changing Between Decimals and Percents||Get a handle on going back and forth between decimals and percents.|
|Changing Between Decimals and Fractions||Look at the usefulness of changing between decimals and fractions.|
|What is the Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples||Discover the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression.|
|Understanding Bar Graphs and Pie Charts||Examine the use of two of the most commonly used graph types.|
|Interpreting Graphical Representations||Recognize the meaning and interpretation of any line or bar graph.|
1. Identifying Prime & Composite Numbers
In this video lesson, you will learn how to identify both prime and composite numbers. You will also learn what makes the numbers unique, as well as the characteristics of both these types of numbers.
2. Additive Inverse Property: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will examine the additive inverse of a given number. We will also learn about the additive inverse of a variable and how it can be represented graphically. Finally, we will explore the most widely employed application of the additive inverse.
3. Multiplicative Inverse: Definition, Property & Examples
In this lesson, we will cover the definition of the multiplicative inverse, as well as its property. We will review some examples of the property so that we can gain a better understanding of the material. Following the lesson will be a brief quiz.
4. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
5. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
6. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
7. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
8. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
9. Interpreting Graphical Representations
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to quickly and easily read and interpret any line and bar graph. You will be able to gather important information by just looking at one of these graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Algebra: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic
- Overview of Real Numbers
- Foundations and Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Overview of Linear Equations
- Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- Inequalities: Help and Review
- Using FOIL, Graphing Parabolas & Solving Quadratics to Factor: Help & Review
- Properties of Polynomial Functions
- Working with Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- Overview of Exponents
- Exponents and Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Working with Rational Expressions
- Math Expressions and Formulas
- Functions: Help and Review
- Exponentials and Logarithms: Help and Review
- Probability Mechanics: Help and Review
- Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- Percent Notation
- Data, Statistics & Probability
- Sequences and Series: Help and Review