About This Chapter
Basic Number Sense - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you are going to review the different types of numbers. Some of these include prime, composite and real numbers. Later in the chapter, you'll examine methods for solving problems using percents and learn about the order of operations in math. Once you are finished with all of the lessons, you'll be able to:
- Recognize and work with composite and prime numbers
- Calculate a real number's absolute value
- Describe the additive and multiplicative inverse properties
- Define percent and solve problems involving them
- Switch between decimals, percents and fractions
- Understand the order of operations
Each of the lessons in this chapter is taught by professional instructors, so you can rest assured you are receiving sound mathematical instruction. The videos are not that long and come with quizzes. Use these self-assessment quizzes to test your math skills and knowledge regarding number sense.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Identifying Prime & Composite Numbers
In this video lesson, you will learn how to identify both prime and composite numbers. You will also learn what makes the numbers unique, as well as the characteristics of both these types of numbers.
3. Finding the Absolute Value of a Real Number
You can find the absolute value of any real number. This lesson will define absolute value, explain what real numbers are and give the steps to finding the absolute value of any real number.
4. Additive Inverse Property: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will examine the additive inverse of a given number. We will also learn about the additive inverse of a variable and how it can be represented graphically. Finally, we will explore the most widely employed application of the additive inverse.
5. Multiplicative Inverse: Definition, Property & Examples
In this lesson, we will cover the definition of the multiplicative inverse, as well as its property. We will review some examples of the property so that we can gain a better understanding of the material. Following the lesson will be a brief quiz.
6. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
7. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
8. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
9. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
10. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Professional Readiness Examination (096): Practice & Study Guide course
- Fundamentals of Calculation
- Mathematical Reasoning & Problem-Solving
- Logic in Mathematics
- Expressions, Functions & Operations
- Expressions & Equations in Algebra
- Understanding Algebraic Functions
- Using Algebraic Functions
- Polynomials, Rational Equations & Trigonometric Equations
- Introduction to Basic Geometry
- Measuring Geometric Figures
- Relationships Between Figures in Geometry
- Basics of Trigonometry
- Fundamentals of Statistics
- Bivariate Relationships in Statistics
- Using Tables & Graphs
- Interpreting Statistical Data
- Probability Overview
- Introduction to Conditional Probability & Diagrams
- Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings in English
- Literary Themes & Main Ideas
- Strategies for Effective Writing
- Reading Strategies & Literary Analysis
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking
- Conventions in Writing: Effective Usage
- Constructing Sentences & Paragraphs
- Argumentative Writing Overview
- Structuring Informational & Explanatory Texts
- MTTC Professional Readiness Flashcards